Hange slips off the edge of the desk, adjusting her pants as she stands up, "I can't tell you for sure that she'll be better. But, I can tell you that she wouldn't want you giving up on her ability to recover. We've seen how her body heals quickly--we just have to trust the process."

Exiting the room, I'm left with the flickering candle on the desk with the moonlight shining through the window behind me. Maybe Hange is right--I just need to trust the process.

My left deltoid aches slightly, demanding my attention, and every so often, I run a hand over the left side of my chest in hope it'll go away. It doesn't.

The evening is filled with paperwork and once the morning comes around, it's time to start training. Although I hate leaving her vulnerable like this, duty calls. Before heading off to get changed, I pass by her. Even with the pale skin, and thinning face, the feelings I hold for her don't waver. I haven't touched her since I've placed her on this bed, scared I'll break her if I do. But, this time before I leave, I kiss her forehead gently, adjusting her blanket the way she likes it.

Opening the door to leave, I'm face to face with a medic who watches over her while I'm gone per my request. She looks at me with a bit of worry, and it's then I notice the slight frown on my lips. I move aside, allowing her in before adjusting the jacket on my shoulders.

"If she wakes up, you immediately send someone to get me. Understood?" I inform her.

"Yes, sir. Let's hope she does better today."

Without responding, I close the door behind me, heading towards the training grounds for new formations and blade techniques. Ironically, Erwin isn't letting me teach them blades, but I don't hold it against him--it's not my fault I've found a superior way to hold my weapons, but to each their own.

Arriving on site, the two squads salute before we begin improvised recoveries using ODM gear. They don't ask about Kaisa; they were informed of her condition once we were behind the walls and safe. Upon learning the situation, their expressions were almost unbearable to face--it almost made me angry when I recalled Kaisa telling me she couldn't lead them like I could. Eventually, her group got up first, discussing amongst themselves the changes they would be making in their formation from her absence.

Some soldiers criticized them, saying they never genuinely cared for their leader. I disagree; Kaisa prepared them for a moment like this--she emphasized the importance of moving on and creating adjustments on the go without fail. Although they argue a lot in their free time, Kiyoko, Kei, and Tobio are fantastic communicators. I knew then that I wouldn't have to worry about those three even without her here.

The training hours drag on longer than usual; I don't want to be here anymore, but these kids need discipline after seeing their sloppy work. They've failed to adjust or improve on any skills we've gone over today; we don't have time to be worrying about simple moves like these, yet here we are. I click my tongue, watching them follow through with the drills once more before losing my patience.

Hange is with me today as a precaution—apparently Erwin wasn't appreciative of my behaviour since all this shit went down.

"Can you ensure that paperwork is handed in by Wednesday?" Erwin asks from his desk.

"Yes, whatever, I'll get it done." I quietly remark, closing a book before putting it back on its shelf.

"Sorry, would you mind repeating that?" Erwin questions.

My head snaps to him and my tone sharpens, "I said I'll do it."

He returns a pointed look, "Levi, this isn't like you."