Many Places I'd Rather Be [Schlattbur]

He was lucky he was a good swimmer.

The taller brunette stared out at the lake, the water level had risen quite a bit since the last time he checked.

With a sigh, he went over to the wooden pole that jutted out from the water. He rolled his pant legs up, took his shoes off, and walked out to the pole.

The day before, he left a mark to show where the water's surface ended. It was now a good five inches under, which caused internal panic in him.

They'll have to move to higher ground soon.

He marked the water level again before walking back to the small cabin he and his friend were staying for the time being.

"How much had it risen?" The ram hybrid asked from the table where he was sitting.

"Five inches." Wilbur replied, walking into the make-shift kitchen and looking for something to eat. "We have at least two days before we have to move again."

The ram hummed lowly in response, taking a sip out of his coffee mug. "What do you think is causing this?" He asked.

"Global warming?" Wilbur shrugged and the ram laughed.

"Yeah right." He said, jokingly.

Wilbur went over to sit with Schlatt, "Don't be like that."

"I should be able to laugh during our last few days."

"We're not gonna die, Schlatt." Wilbur said, sternly. The two fell into an uncomfortable silence, letting what Wilbur said hang in the air for a little bit.

"Do you really believe that, though?" Schlatt asked quietly, getting no response from the taller, which only answered his question.

With that, the ram got up from the table to go get a look for himself. Brushing past Wilbur, he swiftly ran outside and down to the once sandy area.

He didn't even need to get a look at the pole to know that the water had gone up. It sent a shiver through his entire body.

Schlatt never admitted to it, but he can't swim. When he's in the water, he panics. No one but himself knew about that, and he hoped to keep that a secret.

If he told Wilbur, he'd probably worry about him and be annoying. So, the ram kept quiet. Returning to the cabin, he noticed that Wilbur was getting his boots on again.

"Where are you going?" He asked.

"I'm going to see if there's another place we can stay." He answered simply. "It's better to know where you'll be going than wander aimlessly."

Schlatt raised an eyebrow at that, but shrugged simply, "Alright..." He walked past, flopping onto the bed the two made on the floor. He had a clear view of the door, and he watched Wilbur leave after muttering a 'goodbye.'

The ram stared at the door, already missing Wilbur, even after only five minutes. Sighing, he closed his eyes, trying to let sleep consume him.

He was woken up, several hours later, by the constant feeling of water droplets falling onto his face. He groaned in annoyance, his eyes darting to the window.

The sun had gone down, and he could hear the soft sound of rain outside. Normally, it was a welcome and peaceful sound, but now it only filled him with dread.

He growled, "Fucking hell... Like we need more rain to add to the flooding." He tilted his head up, noting that there's several leaks in the ceiling. "Wilbur—" He paused, remembering that the other had left a while ago, "Right."