CHAPTER 25: Smoke Of Memories

~Smoke Of Memories

~Smoke Of Memories.~

"Everything vanished leaving me astray in the smoke of memories," ~ Shravya

************

(Past Continues)

Clutching the rose bouquet more tightly, Zaid looked at Shravya. His coal-black orbs met her hazel ones, expecting an answer for his proposal but she silently stood in a dilemma. Her eyes were slightly wide and lips were tightly shut in a thin line, only prevailing silence between them.

After a long pause, giving up on the hopes of getting an answer, Zaid dejectedly stood up. Now, holding the rose bouquet in a downcast manner. "It's okay Shravya. You don't have to answer right now. You can take your time," he spoke with a bitter smile. But before he could speak further, She interrupted him by snatching the rose bouquet out of his hold.

She smiled, her nose taking in the sweet scent of the roses. "I want some time to answer this because I never thought that there will be something more than friendship between us. Can I take some time?" she asked but Zaid didn't speak and gazed at the rose bouquet, which now, was in her arms.

"Can I?" After not earning any response from him, she again asked. With alarm, Zaid flinched, realizing that he was dozing off.

He nervously looked at the wall behind her, his heart hammering against his ribcage. "Sure! Please take your time. There is no need to rush," his lips parted as he forced a response out of them..............................

_______________________________________________

"That day I got to know about his feelings. I asked for some time to answer and he...he gave me a massive amount of time," Shravya chuckled, remembering the past memories and her journey from Zaid's best friend to his girlfriend. "He was the best boyfriend in every sense. He was perfect," she mumbled, a small smile gracing her lips and her eyes staring down, on her lap.