chapter eleven

OCEANE

It's been a week since we officially started filming, and I wasn't as nervous acting in front of cameras anymore. Also been a week since people found out I sing.

Note to self, don't ever sing in front of these people.

I was in my trailer, Stacy doing my hair and makeup as I ran through my lines. I heard the door open and saw none other than Charlie, standing behind me as he looked at me through the mirror.

"Well hello," I chuckled, looking back down to my script.

He didn't say a word, heck he didn't move at all. I took a peek and saw him standing there, his hands in fists which he put on his hips.

"How can I help you?" I asked, my eyes back down onto my script. Again, not a word.

"You do be creeping me out Gillespie, what is it?" I groaned, putting my script onto the table and looking back at him through the mirror.

"I'm just tryna find a way to tell you without you flipping out," he said, still deep in thought.

"Well?" I asked after almost a minute of silence.

He scrunched up his nose, still not moving even an inch. I raised an eyebrow, and he let out a sigh before standing up straight.

He put his hands on my shoulders, and I could hear him inhale deeply.

"Kenny wants to talk to you," he said. I gulped. Did I do something wrong?

"And you probably think you did something wrong but no, you didn't. It's actually something good but I know you, you're probably gonna freak out," Charlie said again.

"Okay well what is it?" I asked, actually looking up to his face.

"Just come with me," he said, taking my hand and dragging me out of my trailer.

With our hands locked, he led me on set where Owen, Jeremy and Madison were running their lines before a scene.

"Ah there you are!" Kenny exclaimed at the sight of me. "Here I am!" I faked enthusiasm, when really I'm anxious as hell.

"So I have some new plans, and I decided that maybe we could have a new song on the album. Just as a bonus track that will have a certain music video but we'll get to that later, from a certain someone," he said, looking directly at me.

I felt my stomach twist.

"And I was hoping you would sing it," he said again.

Suddenly I don't remember a single word I have ever learnt or spoke in my whole life. Kenny wants me to sing?

"Well, Kenny you see- I don't sing," I chuckled nervously, my grip onto Charlie's hand tightened- and I didn't even remember we were still holding hands. But I'm not letting go, and by the looks of it he isn't either.

"Nonsense! I saw the video," Kenny exclaimed. "Remind me to kill a certain tall blonde later," I whispered to Charlie through gritted teeth and he chuckled.

"You know you should just try," he said to me and I shot him a look.

"I'm just saying," he put his hands up defensively, and that's when he saw that our hands were still locked.

I simply pulled my hand away, instantly feeling the warmth of his hand leave mine.

"What song were you singing in that video?" Kenny asked, and by now Madison, Jeremy and Owen were with us.

"It's... something I wrote," I muttered, pushing my hair off my right shoulder.

"You write songs?" Madison asked and I shrugged.

"I mean I write lyrics and then I sing them. I don't play any instruments so I would record myself sing it randomly so I could remember how it goes," I said. "It's just stuff I do, somewhat a coping mechanism."

"Can I see the lyrics?" Kenny asked.

I looked to Charlie who gave me a reassuring nod and I hesitantly took my phone out and pulled out the lyrics, showing it to Kenny.

Madison and Jeremy took a peek at it over his shoulders, looking attentively.

I began biting my nails, if you haven't noticed; it's something I do when I'm madly anxious or on edge. No one has ever seen my works before, and now Kenny freaking Ortega is interested?

I felt a hand gently full my hands away from my lips as they pulled me towards them with my back on their chest. With their arms wrapped around me, I felt a sudden boost of confidence.

"You wanna see some other ones?" I asked, biting my tongue right after.

"Yes, yes please," Kenny said, a hint of excitement in his voice.

I reached my hand out for my phone and scrolled to another song before handing it back to him. Kenny read through it, suddenly leading our small group to a more private space.

"Can you sing this for me?" he asked and I gulped. "Cause we can compose it based on the way you sing it."

"You want this song?" I asked and he nodded. "The lyrics are good, and I'm digging it," he said.

"You got this," I heard Charlie whisper to me as his arms were still securely wrapped around me from behind.

"From the top or...?" I asked Kenny, taking in a deep breath. "Maybe just the chorus for now, whenever you're ready," he said.

I put my hands on Charlie's since his hands were down on my stomach. I inhaled deeply, clearing my throat.

"I, I got my eyes on the prize
Fight 'til the day that I die
Can't knock me down and that's why
I got 'em all the way up
Taking this moment, it's mine
Brighter than bright, I will shine
Can't knock me down and that's why
I got 'em all the way up" I sang, a little shaky.

"Girl– that was amazing!" Madison exclaimed, slapping her hand onto her mouth.

I played with Charlie's fingers, looking down at it. The nerves of singing in front of these people were real– and it's technically just a group of friends.

"I like it. Maybe you could work with the others to give it an instrumental?" Kenny suggested and I finally looked up at him.

"Well, I guess," I muttered, shrugging.

"It's a great song, don't be scared," Kenny said to me, giving me a reassuring smile which I forced one back in return.

✎ᝰ┆𝐚𝐝𝐢 ♡
off topic but do we want a luke or reggie fanfic? pls respond lmao i wanna know ur thoughts