Chapter 20: The Morning After

- The Next Morning -

*Ellen*
She woke up nestled in Patrick's arms, it felt so right, so safe, like she belonged there. He was still sleeping deeply, she untangled herself from his arms, careful to not wake him up in the process. She got into the shower and rested her head on the wall, what did they do last night, how could they have let themselves get that caught up in the moment. She washed her hair, as much as she didn't want to, she tried to get Patrick's scent off of her. They still had filming left to do that day and she didn't need people getting suspicious of them. She heard the bathroom door open, 'Patrick don't you dare come in here' she said with her back to him. 'That's a change of tone from last night' he said with a chuckle, 'We'll talk when I get out of the shower ok' she said. What was he thinking, didn't he understand that what they had done was so wrong, he was married for gods sake. She turned off the shower, putting her robe on and opened the door to find a topless Patrick sitting on the couch looking smug. She rolled her eyes and sat next to him, 'You're married and well I'm with Chris, we can't, ever again' she said quietly but seriously. He looked at her with those sad eyes and cupped her cheek, 'I know, and it won't but Ellie I need you, you're my best friend, we haven't ruined everything have we?' he said softly. She put her hand over Patrick's on her cheek 'Paddy, like you could ever ruin what we have'.

*Patrick*
He woke up to find the bed still warm next to him but the woman he loved not there. He sat up running his hands through his messy hair, he heard the shower running in the bathroom, with a smile he got up. Thinking they were about to recreate their shower scene but this time with no one watching and warm water instead of cold, he opened the bathroom door. He saw her small frame facing away from him, 'Patrick don't you dare come in here' she said, he could picture her serious face as she said it. He laughed at the image and said 'That's a change of tone from last night' and she replied 'We'll talk when I get out of the shower ok'. He put a pair of boxers on and his scrub trousers and sat on the couch waiting for her. She came out in her dressing robe, her long thin legs bare, she sat on the couch next to him. He gave her the cheeky smirk he knew she loved and she rolled her eyes at him. 'You're married and I'm with Chris, we can't, ever again' she said seriously, his face dropped, he had forgotten about Jill, how could he forget about his wife? His love for Ellen had become all consuming, he realised that he couldn't live without her anymore, having sex was an added bonus but he didn't need it he needed her. 'I know, and it won't but Ellie I need you, you're my best friend, we haven't ruined anything have we?' he said, his hand against her cheek. She rested her hand over his, she said 'Paddy, like you could ever ruin what we have'. He smiled, she was still his Ellie.

*Ellen*
She was filming with Sandra, they were in between takes when Sandra whispered to her 'You know you smell like Patrick right?', Ellen's eyes widened, 'Don't look at me like that, it's not that bad only slightly'. Clearly she hadn't scrubbed hard enough in the shower. 'I slept at the trailer last night, he must have forgot to change the bedsheets from when he last stayed' Ellen whispered back. Sandra looked at her with her eyebrows raised, as much as she loved Sandra this really wasn't what she needed. She doubted anyone else would notice considering she only had one more scene with Chris to shoot and well Chris would have no idea. Patrick came around the corner, a coffee in hand, 'I thought you might be needing this' he said handing it to her. 'That's exactly what I need right now, thank you' she replied, filming was almost over for a few months but they had so many interviews booked, she'd still be seeing him almost every day.

'I can't fall in love with him, he's married and I'm not single'- Ellen Pompeo