Papaya

Cody's POV
Regret. It's the worst feeling in the world.

"Sir we are going to be changing her medication, may we come in?"
"Yes that's fine please come in" I answer
This was the third time I've almost lost her, and the second I've almost lost my sweet little girl. What am I doing wrong?
"Okay so I'm going to be on break now Mr. Bellinger so I'll have my replacement come in later on. Have a good day."
"Yes thank you Isla, have a good one too."
Looking back to the bed I turn to a still unconscious Vanity. She hasn't woken up since her fall down the stairs. Corey and I brought her here and they took her to the emergency room right away. I didn't know anything until 4 hours later when they told me they were both okay. I've been at the hospital for about 3 weeks now, I haven't played any games, I haven't gone home.
"Hey so I brought you some more clothes and I can take the others. I'm also stopping by to get lunch if you want to place an order." Corey announces as he walks into the room.
When Corey heard Vanity was in a coma he freaked out in the waiting room so bad they had to sedate him. Vanity's had lots of visitors including her parents that decided to stay here until she woke up. Our daughter has gotten bigger, well from the looks of Vanity's stomach. The OB comes in and checks on her everyday, last week she informed me she was the size of a papaya. I think she's been the one that's kept me sane, I place my hands when I see her kick and feel her little kicks every night.
"I'll probably get lunch later, thanks though. Can you also bring me back my laptop, I left it in the room."
Corey nods as he leaves the room leaving me alone again.
I miss her, her laugh, her smile, her voice. I've even begun to pray for her to wake up. I've had so many dreams where I wake up and she's staring at me with her gorgeous hazel eyes. Interrupting my thoughts I see our OB come in for her usual check up.
"Good afternoon Cody... can we talk?" She asks as she closes the door. I could see papers in her hand that looked like ultrasounds.
"Yes of course, come in"
She walks over and sighs.
"So I've been looking over Vanity's files and of course your daughters and I've been talking with her general doctor and somethings come up."
"What do you mean? What's wrong?"
"I'm going to explain as best I can Cody, but please let me finish what I'm going to tell you."
I frantically nod as my heart rate picks up.
"So currently your baby is 6 months, and very healthy. She's probably the best patient I've had because she's always in the right positions and her vitals are always amazing. Now my job is keeping the baby healthy of course, but Vanity's general doctor has found something odd."
Dr. Waldorf takes out some scans and spreads them out in front of me.
"So this is Vanity's heart, and this little thing right here... that's what they call an aortic blockage. So as of right now it's not that bad, but it could get worse which will mean surgery"
"Vanity can't have surgery. She's pregnant our daughter is still in her."
"I know Cody, which is why they're going to start monitoring her heart more because if that blockage gets worse they will have to do surgery or Vanity could die. If they do the surgery I will go and perform a c-section to take out the baby."
"She's only 6 months! She's to small"
Are they insane?!
"Cody please calm down, please let me finish"
"Calm down?! You want to bring my child out when she's only the size of a papaya! She'll die!" I yell probably getting attention from the rooms next to us.
"That's not true Cody, I've delivered babies younger that her and they lived. Besides it's only a precaution, I'm hoping Vanity will wake up soon and her blockage won't get worse." She continued to explain
"This is insane, what am I doing wrong? My girlfriend is in a coma and now my child is at risk. What am I supposed to do? How do I make decisions like this?!"
By now my eyes were full of tears and my heart felt heavy.
"Cody... please breath. Everything will be okay. We are going to monitor Vanity and give her the proper medication she needs that won't harm the baby. For now just breath, talk it over with your loved ones."
As she leaves the room I hold Vanity's hand in mine.
Darling, please wake up.
"Vanity, I know you can't hear me but just in case you are... I love you. I love how you make me feel inside and how you can make my day by just showing me your smile. I need you here Vanity, it's time to wake up babe. She needs you." I whisper to her unconscious body.