Chapter 45

"Okay, so, what's your plan?" Ant asked, standing in the corner of my cottage and looking very cramped. After all the drama, we returned to my place, Ant stopped crying and returned to that chill, kinda bored state, and I handed over the key, as promised. Now, we were brainstorming. Well, except that...

"That was it." I said lamely, shrugging.

"What was it?"

"Liam and I didn't talk about anything further than asking for your help." Ant rubbed the bridge of his nose, like he was getting a headache.

"So, wait, you're going to try to uproot centuries old tradition with a centaur, a human, and, what, determination?"

"We've also got a room full of vampires. So..." I trailed off, shrugging again. "Okay listen, I was basically in panic mode yesterday. You're lucky that we had this much of a plan."

Ant groaned. "Of course I decide to join the group of bumbling lunatics to fight the, again, centuries old, unchanged tradition. What a shitshow..."

"Does this mean you're changing your mind?" I asked tentatively. That only seemed to annoy him more.

"No, of course not. But you realize we're all probably gonna end up dead, right?" Even though I already knew that, his words still made my stomach turn a little. 

But I tilted my chin up anyway. "Well, if we do nothing, they'll definitely end up dead so...I have to try. I have to do something."

He sighed. "Yeah, yeah, I know. So I'm thinking our best bet is to sneak them out sometime before the last night."

I bit my lip. "That sounds...risky. I mean, where would we take them all? And what about you, how would you explain it?"

"I probably wouldn't be able to. This isn't about me, though, it's about saving Ruby. And, y'know, the others."

"Well...what if we just tried to convince Oak to let them go? That way everyone's safe." I asked. Ant shook his head, chuckling ruefully.

"Yeah, that's not happening," he said flatly. "Oak may not look like it, but she's a huge fan of murder. And she really hates Ruby, so this is like a dream come true for her. The only way they're getting out is if she's not aware of it."

"Oh..." I knew that seemed too easy. "Then I guess we go with your original plan. Maybe we should ask the vampires for help refining it? Now that we're all working together and all?"

Ant's permafrown deepened. "Yeah, fine. But I'm not saying one word to that psychopath." I had a feeling I knew who he was referring to, and I couldn't exactly disagree.

I stood. "I'll talk to him, then. You can spend some time with Ruby." I winked, elbowing him.

 A blush appeared on Ant's tan cheeks. "S-shut up."

We managed to enter the prison area without much drama, being careful to keep our faces as casual as possible. Once inside, though, the utter darkness of the room with the door closed made me nervous, like ants crawling up and down my arms. It only got worse when I heard Ant's footsteps venture deeper into the prison, leaving me all alone.

"Blythie! You did it!" A familiar voice cheered from my left. Instinctively relieved, I quickly walked towards him. 

"My name is Blythe," I muttered. "And your plan worked, Ant's here. But we don't know what to do next."

"Ah, so you sought out my infinite wisdom. I see, I see. Well, fret not Blythie Whythie, for I have another brilliant idea that will certainly-"

"Okay, okay, can you get on with it, please?" I said. Liam sighed dramatically.

"Fine. It's simple. All you have to talk to Oak and get her to take you outside and fly you home."

"What? I have to go home?"

Liam shook his head. "No, just ask her to take you outside so her little lackey over there can get us out and-"

"That's not gonna happen," Ant called from behind me. I jumped. When had he walked there? 

"And why would that be?" Liam sneered.

"Because Oak never leaves. If Blythe wanted to go home, she'd make me take her. If not me than someone else she works with."

Liam's lip remained in a haughty little curve. "Great. You can sneak all of us out together."

Ant sighed heavily, like he was talking to someone very, very annoying. Which, to be fair, he was. "How the hell do you expect me to sneak all three of you guys outside?"

"I don't know, Anthony, have one of your centaur friends distract Oak or something. You're smart, you can figure it out."

"...I don't exactly get along with anyone else here. So that's not happening." Ant mumbled. Liam snickered, while I felt a pang of familiarity in my chest. I didn't exactly have anyone back home, either. Except my mom. And even then...

I chewed on my bottom lip. "So, what? You guys are just stuck here?"

"No one said that, Blythe," a smooth voice called from what felt like directly over my shoulder. I shrieked. From behind me, Ruby giggled. I sighed.

"How'd you even get out?" I asked. She made a noncommittal noise, then jumped on top of Ant.

"We'll, uh, finish talking about this later," he said, his voice uncharacteristically hurried as he followed Ruby away to who knows where. 

"Ah, young love. Hopefully they remember to use protection." Liam said sarcastically. I peered over in his general direction, but the vague outline I could see of him in the dark looked pretty relaxed. 

"Gross, and shouldn't you be more....mad about that?" I whispered. I'd expected him to make a bit more fuss about Ruby's actions considering their...activities.

"Why? They're cute enough." Liam said calmly. I shrugged. 

"Well yeah, but aren't you and Ruby like...a thing?" In the dark, I saw the glint of Liam's fangs as he smiled.

"I'll let her have her fun. The thing about Ruby is she can never let herself be happy for long. When she gets scared and ruins itagainshe'll come back to me. She always does."

"That...doesn't sound healthy." I mumbled. Not that I knew what a healthy relationship was supposed to look like anyway.

"Ruby can't exist unless she's in pain. I like having a stress ball. It's a useful transaction for both of us." His tone was light, despite the implications of his words. A sick feeling twisted itself in my gut. 

"I think you both deserve a little better than that," I said, and was surprised to find that it was true. Liam and Ruby were both weird and a little frightening, but I wanted more for them than this toxic mess of a relationship. Liam just hummed.

"I don't really think either of us would agree with you, but its a nice thought. Thank you soooo much Bythie," he said, reaching through the bars to mess up my hair. I growled and moved away.

"Okay, Ruby deserves better. You I'm not so sure about." Liam laughed, but it sounded a little forced.

"Yeah, that's probably more accurate."

A/N: What's this? I'm alive?