Chapter 23

Once the urge to vomit passed, I was able to get back on my feet, if a bit shakily. I trudged upstairs, telling myself I'd go back upstairs, lock myself in Liam's room, and forget everything that I'd just heard. Hell, maybe I could just stay there for the rest of my life.

It sounded like the perfect plan until I actually reached the room. Liam stood outside of it. The sight of him made shivers run up and down my spine, the hairs on my neck standing on end.

I halted on the stairs. Would he notice if I just went back down? Carefully, I put a foot back on the step I'd just been on.

"Hey, Blythe," he said. I cringed. 

I tried to say something casual, something conversational, something that didn't make it seem like I'd just listened to him literally torture another person. Vampire. Whatever.

I let out a squeak, more dog toy than human, really. Liam glanced up at me, and I could tell he knew something is wrong.

"Are you-"

"Bye!" I yelled out, running upstairs instead of downstairs in my haste. Realizing my mistake too late, I kept going down to the end of the hall, trying not to hear Liam's voice calling after me. Not just his voice, though. I heard footsteps on the ground behind me. Not moving very fast, but still steadily following. 

My head went a little light as I imagined what might happen to me if he caught me. Sure, Ruby had probably survived, but me? I was just a human. I couldn't afford to have my arm ripped off.

I dashed upstairs, the footsteps growing closer and closer. I remembered how many locked doors there had been on the second floor. That gave me little time at all to find a room and hide in it. 

Problem was, I didn't remember which doors had been bathrooms or spare bedrooms, but there was one I was pretty sure would be unlocked. Before I could think better of it, I ran over, opened her door, and shut myself inside.

I sighed in relief.

"Oh look, the human's back to see me!" Great. Now I'd have to deal with Ruby. Better Ruby than Liam, though.

"Uh, hello," I said, rather cautious. 

"I knew you'd be useful," Ruby said. I could hear the grin on her face, but something else about her voice was strange. Muffled, almost. "I've never seen him that fucking intense."

"Wait, so you wanted to get hurt like that?" I asked, disbelieving. Ruby giggled. 

"Obviously. What did you think would happen when I told you his secret. Now get over here so I can tell you another one," she said, snapping her fingers at me.

"What? No! I didn't think...I didn't know that would happen. A-and I'm not letting that creep do it again!" I snapped back. 

Suddenly, Ruby growled at me like an animal.

"You have no right to call LiLi a creep," she snarled. "He's a better goddamn person than you or I could ever hope to be."

I scoffed. "I highly doubt that. And I have every right to call the kidnapper, killer, and torturer a creep. Hell, I should call him something even worse! He's absolutely revolting!"

"You fucking take that back right now or I'll do something drastic. Liam is amazing!" Ruby shrieked. 

"Did he tell you to say that?" I yelled back. "Because from what I've seen, Liam is nowhere near worthy of even being called decent!"

"Right, so you're telling me that he's never been kind to you at all? Never considered your interests and your comfort? Never tried to apologize for anything? Is that what you're saying?" Ruby yelled.