Chapter 30

As I slid into the backseat, I was accosted by memories of the hour or so I'd spent trembling with fear inside that very car. A sharp shiver shot through my spine.

"You alright back there?" Liam asked, eyeing me in the rear view mirror. Again, I was startled by the blue of his contacts. I nodded curtly, leg twitching with nervous energy.

"Liar," Liam grunted, and I glared at him. 

"Why should you care?" I snapped, turning to look out the window.

"Hey, don't look out that window. Or the windshield. Better yet, just close your eyes," Liam said, starting the car.

"Why?" I asked, continuing to stare idly.

"Because I don't want you figuring out where you are?" Liam said, as if it were obvious. I frowned.

"But then shouldn't I have a blindfold or something?" I asked. Liam shrugged. 

"Yeah, probably, but I forgot. Unless, of course, you want one," Liam said, snickering. I scoffed. 

"I can't say I do, honestly. I'll just close my eyes," I said, staring out the window.

"You're quite the little liar, aren't you?" he asked, finally pulling out of the driveway. I just grunted, a smug smile tugging at my lips. Why?

 Because, in between our stupid banter, I'd been coming up with a plan, using Liam's mistakes to my advantage. I'd keep a careful eye out during our drive, looking for a place to jump out of the car and run. Then, when we'd gotten to the donuts, I'd get as many as possible (the more money out of his pocket, the better), and leave the car door open as I got in. Finally, I'd roll on out at the spot I chose.

Simple, elegant, foolproof. There was no way for it to fail. My grin widened. I was finally going home.

"The Hell are you smiling at back there?" Liam asked, narrowing his eyes at me. I instantly dropped the grin.

"Nothing. Focus on the road," I said, eyes darting left and right. So far, there was nothing but open fields and hills. I'd probably get hurt on the hills, and I'd definitely just get lost in the field. No good.

We passed more hills, a lake, and a dense forest-none of them suitable for escape. Too soon, we came to a stop at a small town. 

It looked old and rather empty, save for one or two people milling about. Maybe, I thought, I could just make a run for it out of the donut shop. Except, that hadn't worked so well in the park back at home, so I doubted it would work then. Foolproof plan my ass.

With a sigh, I exited the car. Liam glanced down at me. 

"What's with you?" He asked, walking into a slightly run down building  with 'donuts' written across it.

I just sighed again, following him inside.

The shop was very cute, despite the less-than-perfect exterior. More importantly, they had a wide variety of mouth-watering donuts to take my mind off of my failed escape plan.

"Alright, you get two," Liam said, staring down into his wallet. I raised an eyebrow.

"Two? You're joking." Liam shook his head.

"Nope. Can't really afford more than that right now," he said, glaring at his wallet.

"Wait, I thought you were rich," I frowned, scouring the display case for the two best ones. 

"When business is good, sure. It's a bit slow right now," Liam muttered, also distracted by the display case.

"Business?" I asked. He nodded.

"What do you think we keep all those humans around for? We don't have that many people."

"So you what, sell their blood to other vampires?"

"Mhm. Usually to the lone ones, but we help out a couple smaller groups too. Together, they're our main source of-" he cut off abruptly as we heard the creak of a door opening, somewhere deeper in the store.

"Don't talk about vampires or kidnapping or you'll be in trouble," Liam hissed quickly, leaning down to reach my ear. Just as quickly, he popped back up and gave the store clerk a smile.

"Craig! How are ya, buddy?" He asked, leaning against the counter. The guy, Craig, was surprisingly young. His hair was long and dark, tucked back behind stretched ears. His neck and hands were covered in tattoos, which continued down into the sleeves of his pink button-down shirt . Didn't strike me as the type to work at a bakery in middle-of-nowhere Maryland. Especially not in a pink shirt and purple apron.

"Was doin' fuckin' great till you showed up," he grunted. Liam laughed, reaching over to pat him on the head. Craig, snarling, batted his hand away.

"That's no way to treat a paying customer," Liam taunted. Craig just rolled his eyes.

"Usual?" He asked, pulling out a bag. Liam nodded.

"I was gonna try something new, but damn it, Craig...your glazed donuts are just too good to pass up," Liam sighed dreamily.

"Flattery doesn't change the fact that you're an asshole, Liam," Craig grunted, shoving a glazed into the bag. "Also, who's this?"

I glanced at Liam. He glanced at me. We didn't have a cover story, and the truth-vampire kidnapee-didn't sound extremely sane. After the silence stretched on just to the point of suspicion, I spoke.

"I'm Blythe," I said. Because, you know, I am. Craig raised an eyebrow at me.

"Cool. You hanging out with this kid willingly?"

"Yes?" I said, though it came out more like a question.

Craig made a grunt. "Braver than me, I guess. What can I get ya?"

"Strawberry icing and glazed, please," I said. He nodded, pulling on his lip ring with his teeth.

"Good choice." I grinned.

"Was my choice good too?" Liam asked. Craig rolled his eyes.

"No."

"But she picked the same-"

"No. Pay and leave, Liam. Your fucking face pisses me off," he said, dark eyes narrowing at Liam. With a sigh, Liam paid and turned around to leave.

At this point, an insane idea came to me. Before I had time to think, I mouthed the word 'help' in Craigs direction. 

Our eyes met. His went wide. I felt my legs begin to shake. His gaze darted to Liam, back still turned, then back to me. Quickly, he folded up my bag and shoved it in my hands. I swear he mouthed a quick word at me, but it was so fast and I'm so bad at reading lips that I couldn't understand it.

But as if it had never happened at all, Craig spun around and went back into the kitchen. Maybe he hadn't understood. Maybe I'd imagined the whole exchange. Maybe I was stuck forever after all.

My whole body felt heavy as I made my way back to the car, clutching my bag of donuts. I didn't even try to look for an escape that time-what was the use?

Instead, I stared down at my lap, at the cheerful, pink bag of donuts in it. At the word 'donuts' written in a purple font so lovely that it actually made my heart hurt after all of the horror.

At the 10 digit number scrawled across the bottom in black pen. I had to hold in a gasp.

Call. Craig had told me to call.