Chapter 22

I heard Liam's footsteps storming upstairs, even through the solid wood door. I didn't exactly love Ruby, but even she didn't deserve what horrors would surely befall her. Horrors that would be my fault. I sighed.

I had to do something.

I opened his door, peering down the hall. No one there. I dashed as quickly as I could to the stairs, peering up them. I didn't see Liam, but Ruby's door was slightly ajar. He was definitely in there, probably murdering her as I stood there.

I may have imagined it, but I swore I felt some kind of dark energy coming from the door. I shivered, strongly considering going back and pretending I hadn't seen a single thing. But my damn conscience just wouldn't let me. 

I snuck up the stairs, stopping just before the room. That's when the speaking began.

"I don't know how it happened, really. It just kind of...slipped out," Ruby said, innocence so clearly faked that I felt the urge to snort. 

"If you're gonna lie, make it a good one," Liam said snidely. Ruby just giggled.

lol maybe don't read this part....you can skip down to the next bolded part.

I was beginning to think that she wasn't in much danger after all, when a wet sort of crunch sounded. I gasped in surprise.

For a moment, there was no sound at all. Then someone let out a terrible, shrieking, blood-curdling wail of pain. It was so awful that it made me physically sick to my stomach. I wasn't even sure the calm Ruby of just minutes before had made it. It didn't sound like her voice at all.

"Jesus fucking Christ, Liam! Fuck!" Ruby shrieked. 

"What's wrong Ruby?" Liam asked, voice low and vaguely amused. Amused. "Isn't this what you wanted?"

"God...Liam," Ruby whimpered. "My arm....you ripped off my arm..." 

I'd never imagined she could sound so helpless. And it was completely my fault. I thought of barging in there, of protecting her somehow, but it was all I could do to keep myself breathing.

"And you loved every minute of it," Liam snarled. "Didn't you?"

Ruby didn't answer, but her whimpers echoed throughout the hall, more like a wounded puppy than a fearsome vampire. 

Suddenly, I heard a loud bang, accompanied by a crack. 

"ANSWER ME," Liam roared, so loud that I felt the vibrations in the floor. Ruby wailed again, the awful sound making me want to break down and just wail with her.

"YES!" Ruby screamed back, though it almost sounded like there was water in her mouth. But no, it couldn't be water. 

Blood, I realized. Ruby's mouth was filled with blood. 

Tears of guilt, fear, worry, and more guilt clouded my vision, streaming fast down my cheeks. I couldn't handle it. Just standing there, able to do nothing. I couldn't even run, though. I just stood there, legs frozen in place. Just like in the park.

Liam laughed, a shrieking, manic cackle unlike anything I'd ever heard. 

Ruby groaned. For some reason, it didn't sound exactly like a groan of pain. 

"Oh, god, Liam!" Ruby wailed. I winced, expecting more sounds of torture, but they never came. In fact, it was just the opposite.

A slightly wet, smacking sound greeted my ears. I gasped, recognizing it instantly.

Kissing. They were kissing.

okay safe to read. lmao. 

What the hell?

What the hell?!

My feet began to back up, horror and confusion twisting inside my mind, forming some strange new emotion I didn't even recognize.

I ran back downstairs, then down to the main floor. I was about to run right outside when I considered that it was dark out, I had no idea where we were, and I didn't even have any means of transportation.

Sighing, I slumped against the front door. Every single time I thought I'd figured out my prison, it changed in some strange, unexpected way. Even though I'd only been there for a day, that day felt more like an eternity of confusion, fear, and suspicion.

An eternity that I'd be trapped in forever. 

I put my head down on my knees, crying softly into my new dress.