Chapter 33

After our truce of sorts (and after I finished bawling my eyes out...) I didn't really know what else to say to Liam. I mean, what are you supposed to say to your immature, frenemy, vampire kidnaper? Is there some kind of protocol?

Maybe not, but I imagine you're not exactly supposed to, y'know, befriend them, a voice in my head whispered. I scowled. I hadn't befriended him, not really. We were just...friendly. And I didn't think that making enemies with Liam was the best escape plan. Even if he didn't seem like it sometimes, he was still a monster after all. Arguing with myself wasn't going to help anyone. I shook my head.

As I did, Liam giggled at me. "What are you, a wet dog? Is this some mortal ritual? Humans are so weird!"

"Oh wow, so funny," I muttered. Okay, not making enemies with Liam would be harder than expected.

"Hey Blythie-"

"Don't call me that."

"If you keep bullying me, I might be inclined to retaliate," Liam sing-songed. I scoffed. Then I realized that might actually become a serious concern. 

I sighed. "I'm ever so sorry for my bullying, Liam."

Liam humphed. "Please! To think I'd let a monster like you off the hook with that shallow apology. You ruined my life, Blythe! Why can't you understand that?"

"Ever since I've met you, I've had this constant headache," I mused. Liam shrugged. 

"Wonder why," he said, standing. "I'm bored. Let's play a game!" I looked up warily. "What?" he asked.

"That's the kind movie serial killers say before they murder you. No thanks."

"I meant a board  game." I frowned. I've never liked board games. Mostly because my mom would never buy them, so whenever we played them in elementary school, I'd lose. And since I had no friends, what was the point in playing games that needed more than one person?

"No. Thanks," I grouched. 

"Come on, what else are you doing? Sitting here? Your short little mortal existence doesn't give you much time to sit around, you know," Liam said, waving a finger in my face.

I pushed it aside and scowled. "Oh...fine."

"Yes!" Liam whispered, dragging me downstairs, past the kitchen and to the game room. As I glanced around it, colorful cases for video games (none of which I was familiar with) caught my eye, but no board games. 

"Hey, where are the board games anyw-" The question died on my tongue as I noticed a small group of people sitting on one of the couches, laptops in hands. No, not people. Vampires.

Instinctively, I edged myself behind Liam, who raised both eyebrows at me. "Are you okay?"

"There's other vampires here," I whispered. Liam laughed. Loudly.

"Uh, yeah? What, did you think there were only four of us here? In a house this size?"

I blushed. "Well, no, but I haven't seen anyone else so I kinda forgot," I mumbled. "Can we go do something else please? Before they, um, notice me?" I whispered.

"Blythe, you reek of human-they noticed you as soon as you walked in. And they can hear every word we're saying."

"Oh." The blush spread to my whole face. "Then why aren't they turning around?"

"They're playing Minecraft? Why would they care about you?" Liam asked, rolling his eyes. I wrinkled my nose.

"What the hell is Minecraft?"