Chapter 2

I leaned back on the bench, trying to slow my breathing. I couldn't think about how garbage my life was, or else I'd start crying right there.

To take my mind off this, I focused on the people passing by me. A businessman here, a runner there, no one really interesting was out at 6 in the morning. I sighed and let my eyes droop a little, the white noise of people and animals clearing my head. Maybe I could just live in the park for a while...

Suddenly, the air was filled with a high-pitched shriek.

Thoroughly brought out of my stupor, I sat straight up, glancing around for the source of the scream. 

There. A tall, skinny, pale man with slicked back black hair-kind of like a 1960's greaser-was running across the park as fast as his legs could carry him, on the path right in front of my bench.

I grinned, the complete randomness of the man shaking off the last traces of my earlier funk. 

The man had on a bright red suit jacket, dress pants, and shiny black Oxfords. Not at all running attire. Based on his panicked expression and the way he was panting, I gathered that he wasn't a regular runner and this was definitely not a casual run. So what was he doing?

Perhaps....running from something? Or someone? I craned my neck and stretched, trying to see behind the man. But there was no one else in the park. 

Right then, he passed by me. Unfortunately, I was still reclining on the bench, my legs on the edge of the path. And so, tripped. 

Instantly, he popped up, eyes darting left and right. Even more weasley up close. Hesitantly, I put my hand out to help him up. The man yelped like he hadn't seen me. 

"Are you alright?" I asked, my voice a little shaky. 

For a few seconds, both of us sat completely still, just staring at each other. Then, without warning, he grabbed my hand, yanking my face an inch away from his.

"You after me too? You workin' for him?" He hissed, so close to my face that I could see his whole face. His impossibly sharp teeth. His bright, ruby red eyes. Fear threaded its way through my veins, just like the feeling from my dream. I try to jerk my hand back.

"I-I don't know what you're talking about mister, I swear!" I cried. Surprisingly, the man let go. 

"If you're tellin' the truth," He muttered, seemingly to himself. Slowly, the man stood up, staring right at me. "Then you better get the hell out of this park, kid." 

And with that, he was off again. 

Shocked, I sat back on my bench. I didn't quite know how to react. A million questions ran through my mind. What was with his eyes and teeth? Why had he told me to leave? Who was he running from? 

I spent so long analyzing him that I forgot to take his advice. That mistake would cost me more than I could imagine.

Not even two minutes later, another figure came up the path. He was noticeably different from the other man. Where he had been rushed, this guy was completely cool, walking without a care in the world. He had his hands in the pockets of a black blazer, not quite formal, but nice all the same. 

As he came closer, I realized how young he looked. Maybe even around my age, but with a certain authority to his posture that made him seem older. 

Nearly right next to my bench, I saw his closed eyes, the cheerful little smile on his face. No, this completely relaxed man couldn't be associated with the nutcase from earlier. It just wasn't possible.

Sensing my stare, he stopped right next to me. He opened his eyes.

I jumped back in shock. 

His eyes were a dark garnet red. Darker than the other guy's, and much less expressive. They looked almost like marbles. Completely inhuman.

The guy chuckled at my reaction. "Hello! Did you happen to see my friend pass through? He's a little out of sorts, I just want to get him home safe." He said. People watching had made me pretty good at reading expressions, and there was not an ounce of concern in his face. In fact, his face was completely devoid of emotion, even with the smile.

It was intensely unnerving. 

Before I could weigh the implications, I pointed shakily in the direction of the scared man. 

His grin widened, never reaching his eyes. "Thank you so much! Your help is appreciated" he said simply. Turning away, he continued to stroll down the path. 

As he left, it dawned on me that from the moment I noticed him, my eyes hadn't left him. Not even once. Shivering-and not just because of the cold-I hugged my knees against my chest. Maybe it was time to take the first guy's advice and head home.

I stood up, stretched, and started the jog home. 

And suddenly, I was running as fast as my legs could go. There was an evil behind me, trailing me, getting closer and closer and closer. 

I pinched my arm. But this time, I didn't wake up. My mind raced. I knew what would happen if I let it catch me. But what could I do? The trees zipped by as I dashed even faster.

Wait a minute...

The trees?

I stopped, checking behind me. Maybe a figure in the distance? Maybe not. Either way, it was far enough away that I had time to duck behind the wide trunk of a tree. 

I squeezed my eyes shut, trying to slow my breathing. I'm invisible, I'm in invisible, I'm invisible.

I spent 2 minutes standing there, each second seeming more like an eternity. I began to feel paranoid. What was I doing, standing there in the cold wind, hiding from an evil that I couldn't even see?

I was about to come from behind the tree, when I heard a scream. The same scream I'd heard earlier. It was the first guy.

And he wasn't alone.