Chapter 29

I stood just inside of Liam's door, listening for the sounds of agonized screams. Thankfully, though, they never came. I sighed in relief as I heard the basement door creak shut. As Liam's footsteps thunked heavily on the stairs, I dashed back to the bed. 

In an attempt to make it look like I'd been sitting there all along, I sort of lounged back on one elbow. That looked off, so I tried lounging on the other one, which was only more unnatural. I was in the middle of shifting to another pose when Liam entered the room, startling me so bad that I actually let out a squeak.

"What...." Liam started. "You know what? Nevermind. I don't even care what you were doing."

"Wait, you don't?" I asked. "What happened to the 'follow my orders!' shit?"

Liam shrugged. "Mostly for show. Can't have 'em thinking I'm a pushover. But honestly," he shot me a glare. "You could stand to be a little more respectful. You forget that I could literally kill you at any moment."

"It's kind of easy to forget when you're being so...I dunno, non-threatening." I said, realizing too late that that, too, could be considered disrespectful.

"There you go again. I've half a mind to bite your arm again," Liam threatened. Instinctively, I pulled my arm back.

"Don't!" I said sharply.

"Are you telling me not to do the thing I literally brought you here to do? Do you think I won't just because you, a measly human, said so?" Liam challenged, pointedly glaring down at me. Especially with me sitting down, Liam loomed over me like a tree. It was, admittedly, a little threatening.

"Well, I-"

"Nah, I'm just messing with you. I'm not even hungry right now. Not for blood anyway. You want breakfast?"

"I...what?" I blinked. There he went again. 

"I said, do you want breakfast? You know, food? If I'm not mistaken, you haven't eaten anything in a day at least." Liam said, turning away from me. I stood to follow.

"No...I mean yes, that's true, but why do you keep doing that?" 

"Doing what?"

"Changing your personality! One minute you're threatening, the next you're completely normal. A-and then you get so mad sometimes, only to go totally cold! Why?" I said, my voice going shrill. He just shrugged.

"I'm a complicated person, Blythe," Liam said. I scowled. 

"That doesn't really answer my question."

"Maybe I'll tell you. Maybe I won't. Maybe I don't even know myself. Who's to say?"

"You are!" I yelled. Liam just laughed.

"What do you want for breakfast?" He asked.

"God, I don't know. I don't want your blood pancakes, or whatever."

"Ha, ha. But I do have some blood orange juice I think you'd enjoy." I gave him a dirty look. 

"You know....blood oranges? It's funny because that's an actual type of-"

"I got it," I interrupted. "It just wasn't funny."

Liam sighed dramatically. "You're no fun. Helena always laughs at my jokes. So does Ruby. And Lucca, too."

I raise an eyebrow. "No he doesn't."

"Okay, he doesn't. But everyone else does! I'm hilarious," Liam said, so seriously I almost snickered. Almost.

"Yeah, right." 

It suddenly occurred to me how chummy we were acting. Again. 

Damn it, how did this keep happening? What was it about this guy that got my guard down, time after time.