Chapter 23

Jace's POV

Mia...what a beautiful name. It suits her. I could tell that she was very nervous, but that only made her that much more beautiful. I was actually as relieved as her, possibly more, when she said that she actually knew the song that I picked. I've been practicing for a while. It was one of my favorite songs as well, but you would never get me to admit that out loud. As I turned back towards the piano, I saw Eric walk over to Mia and hand her a microphone. I moved the music sheets over a little so that she could still see the lyrics if she needed them. She looked at me with appreciation on her face. I started playing and she came in right on cue, singing perfectly.

*A/N: I do not own this song or its lyrics.*

You fascinated me
Cloacked in shadows and secrecy
The beauty of a broken angel

I ventured carefully
Afraid of what you thought I'd be
But pretty soon I was entangled

You take me by the hand
I question who I am

Teach me how to fight
I'll show you how to win
You're my mortal flaw
And I'm your fatal sin
Let me feel the sting
The pain
The burn
Under my skin

Put me to the test
I'll prove that I'm strong
Won't let myself believe
That what we feel is wrong
I finally see what
You knew was inside me
All along

That behind this soft exterior
Lies a warrior

My memory refused
To separate the lies from truth
And search the past
My mind created

I kept on pushing through
Standing resolute which you
In equal measure
Loved and hated

You take me by the hand
I'm seeing who I am

Teach me how to fight
I'll show you how to win
You're my mortal flaw
And I'm your fatal sin
Let me feel the sting
The pain
The burn
Under my skin

Put me to the test
I'll prove that I'm strong
Won't let myself believe
That what we feel is wrong
I finally see what
You knew was inside me
All along

That behind this soft exterior
Lies a warrior

Lies a warrior...

You take me by the hand
I'm sure of who I am

Teach me how to fight
I'll show you how to win
You're my mortal flaw
And I'm your fatal sin
Let me feel the sting
The pain
The burn
Under my skin

Put me to the test
I'll prove that I'm strong
Won't let myself believe
That what we feel is wrong
I finally see what
You knew was inside me
All along

That behind this soft exterior
Lies a warrior

The pictures come to life
Wake in the dead of night
Open my eyes
I must be dreaming

Clutch my pillow tight
Brace myself for the fight
I've heard that seeing
Is believing.

I was thinking only two things the whole time that she was singing. One was that she was amazing in every way. She was gorgeous, smart, and talented. The other, less important one, was the first time that I ever heard this song. It was back when I was still dating Clary and she still loved me. It described our journey perfectly. Realizing this brought back some memories that I thought I had buried. All of the amazing times that I had with Clary. All of the battles that we fought. Even the bad times, even though they were far and few between. I pulled myself out of those memories and focused on ending the song perfectly just like Mia had. I turned to look at her and she looked happy. So happy. It made me smile to see how happy that song made her. I clapped for her and she turned her head to look in my direction.

She blushed, but said, "Thank you. You were amazing yourself."

I smiled at the compliment. "Well, I've had a lot of practice. Would you like to go get a drink?"

"Um...I don't really drink..." She trailed off, looking down at the ground.

"That's perfectly okay. We can just get some water or soda and talk."

She smiled gratefully at me and nodded her head. I smiled, took her hand, and started to lead her over to the bar. However, I did stop in front of the piano and make her bow down. She looked at me, embarrassed, but I just smiled and continued to lead her to the end of the bar.
**********************************
Hey guys. Last chapter, I promised a longer chapter, so here it is. I hope that you guys liked it. I actually had fun writing for Jace. I hope that you liked reading this. The picture is just something that I loved. It shows Jace's personality. I hope that you like the picture as well.

I especially wanted to dedicate this chapter to @BibliophilicFangirl. She, along with many others, wanted Clace. So, I wanted to show what Jace thought. You guys should definitely follow her. She has amazing ideas.

Questions:

1) What did you think about this scene?

2) More or less Jace and Mia time?

3) Who do you want Mia to pick now that she has talked to each of the three guys? (She will have more time with each of them, don't worry.)

4) Questions for me? Ideas? Comments?

Thank you all for reading and I hope you love all of the book.
- blackwolves16