JP Hooper- Butterflies (h)

Death In Paradise One Shot

When you moved to Saint Marie you hadn't quite imagined that things would pan out the way that they did.

Initially you'd only planned to be out there for a couple of months as part of your gap year; you wanted to travel a bit and get some other life experience.

You met Catherine and she was kind enough to give you a job at her bar, she'd told you that with her being the mayor she needed someone else to do the day-to-day runnings of the bar.

Through the bar you met the police force and in the police force was JP aka Jean-Pierre.

He had been so nervous when he had first met you, it gave you butterflies in your stomach, but each time you saw him thereafter he got more and more confident around you.

Six months later you were still on the island, still with your job at Catherine's Bar and you had been staying with JP for five out of those six months as you two had become something of an item.

He still gave you butterflies, essentially any time he smiled in your direction you got butterflies.

"Hey you," JP greeted as he popped in whilst on his lunch break, coming around to the deck where he knew he'd find you.

The butterflies also appeared whenever he was in uniform, which luckily for you was most of the time, because how could you resist a man in uniform.

"Why haven't you gone to Catherine's yet?" he asked, sitting down opposite you and reaching for your hand.

"She gave me most of the day off, I've got to be there for the mid-afternoon rush," you explained as you intertwined your fingers with his.

He nodded in understanding. "What're you doing out here then?" he questioned, as usually you were either reading or on your laptop but this time you had neither.

You sighed. "I've been thinking," you stated, feeling somewhat nervous.

JP seemed confused but gestured for you to continue.

"I'm supposed to be returning to the U.K in a few months, I've got to get everything packed up for moving into my accommodation," you told him, and he nodded but still confused as he already knew that. "But now I don't know if I should go back, or even if I actually want to."

"Oh?" he sounded surprised when he spoke.

You giggled at his surprised expression but soon felt nervous again. "It didn't take long for Saint Marie to feel like home, like somewhere I belong, you know?" he nodded again. "And with you here too, it makes me even more reluctant to leave."

JP sighed as he squeezed your hand. "Y/N you know I never want to hold you back from your studying," he stated in earnest. "I knew when this whole thing started between us that you'd be going back home, and I had just, you know, figured we'd work through it."

"As in long distance?"

"Yeah, that," he confirmed, squeezing your hand again. "Just because you've got to go home doesn't mean I don't want to be with you anymore."

The butterflies were back, and you practically melted at his words.

He smiled at you as he lifted the back of your hand to his lips, pressing a gentle kiss to it.

"The thing is JP, I don't have to go back per say," you said slowly. "I have the option to do my course remotely and get any experience I need out here."

"So, you're saying you want to stay out here?" he asked as a smile spread across his face.

"If you'll have me," you answered with a shrug. "If you'll have me JP, I'd very much like to stay."

JP chuckled as he stood up, pulling you up with him and kissing you as soon as he could. "There's no question about that."

~*~

Written by Hannah.