116. supermarket flowers (song preference)

supermarket flowers - ed sheeran
———

calum
I took the supermarket flowers from the windowsill
I threw the day old tea from the cup

calum sighed as he took the withered flowers that sat in the thin vase from the windowsill. he threw them in the trash and poured out what's left of the dusty water. he grabbed the pink mug, pouring the rest of the tea down the sink. after packing everything up, he takes a look at the empty hospital in which you laid just one short day before. now all he had left to remember you by were the measly gift baskets and teddy bears that your friends and family had left in your hospital room, and the countless memories. the memories of waking up with you, making you laugh, baking cookies at 2am, helping you pick out what to wear, your tickle fights, cuddling with you and duke, the office marathons, decorating for christmas, the thoughtful birthday gifts, playing guitar for you, teaching you how to play guitar, listening to you fail at playing guitar, the picnic dates, the sunset watching dates, the stargazing dates and everything in between. no one would could ever complete him like you did. and now you're gone. "ready to go, mate?" ashton asks, standing in the doorway and watching calum's tears roll down his face. the maori boy looks up at him, nodding softly and walking out of the last place he ever saw his fiancé.

luke
oh I'm in pieces, it's tearing me up, but I know
a heart that's broke is a heart that's been loved

"y/n?" calum says, walking into the bedroom. you laid in bed, your eyes heavy but your mind unable to slow down enough to sleep. you've been like this ever since you lost him. it was sudden. you didn't even get to say goodbye. now you're just left with the memories, no more luke. "do you want to try to eat?" calum asks gently. "i'm fine." you mumble, not taking your eyes off of whatever was so fascinating about the floor. "you sure? you need to eat..." "'m not hungry." you tell him. cal sighs, walking back out of the room. "no luck." he tells the other boys and their girlfriends. "she's been like this for days. it's tearing her up." ashton frowns. "well what do you expect? a heart that's broke is a heart that's been loved." crystal says. you could hear their faint voices from your bedroom, and they were right. your heart ached for luke because he was the one who showed you what it truly meant to be in love. everything was easy with him. you didn't have to worry about a thing. but now with him gone, that's all you'll ever do.

ashton
you were an angel in the shape of my mum
when I fell down you'd be there holding me up

you held ashton close, one hand wrapped around his body and the other around his head as harsh sobs racked his body. "shhh, i know i know." you whisper as you sat in the chair beside him. you looked up as calum, luke and michael enter the room, their expressions turning grim as they see their best friend in pain. "she's gone." ashton forces the words out. "ash, i'm so sorry." calum tells him. when anne marie got sick, everyone knew it wouldn't be much longer. nevertheless, losing someone hurts— especially when it's your mother. you let go of your boyfriend but keep a hand on his back, rubbing softly. ash tries to calm down by taking a deep breath and wiping his nose. "she was an angel," he speaks up. "an angel in the shape of my mum. when i fell down she'd be there holding me up, when i was sick she'd be there helping me through it, and when i was happy, she was the reason." ashton says. "your mom was amazing." luke nods. "you'll see her again one day, mate." michael assures him.

michael
I hope that I see the world as you did 'cause I know
a life with love is a life that's been lived

"i'll never forget the first day i met michael. we were on the same vacation trip, but didn't know each other since we were both plus ones. he caught my eye because of his smile. he sat across the room from me, just smiling. he was always smiling. always laughing. always having fun. he made the most out of every situation. i honestly hope i see the world as he did, because his life was full of love and a life with love is a life that's been lived. after that day in bali, i had no hesitation about if he was the one or not. we spent the rest of that rainy tuesday indoors, playing board games and talking about life. no one really wanted to go outside because of the weather, but michael pulled me outside anyway," you pause, smiling to yourself at the happy memory. "we danced in the rain as he sang the first song that came to his mind— old town road," you chuckle as does the crowd. "i don't think i've ever had as much fun on a vacation as i did then. i'm so thankful for every memory, every laugh and every smile from michael. he changed my life, and every one that he knew," you pause again, turning around to look at the boy in the casket. "and i'll never forget it."