Pent Up Anger

{P.O.V. Jennifer Ross-Ryans}

It's been a week since we found out the gender of our baby. Now we have to let his family know what the gender of our baby is. It took me all week to encourage Kendrick to do so. Every time I bring up the topic, he would kind of brush it off. That was, until I convinced him that he had to let them know. He agreed, and even though he agreed, he still seems off like, which makes me wonder what's his thinking and feeling are. I guess I will find out once we get to his parent's house. Liz has planned out a nice Sunday dinner tonight for us for the news of the baby gender. 

Getting to the house, Braxton pulls up to the front sidewalk. Kendrick gets out and opens my door for me and helps me out of the car. Taking my hand in his, we walk to the door, then he knocks on the door. 

"Are you alright?" Asking Kendrick. He looked a little nervous, mixed with something else.  

"I'm fine." He says bluntly, then lets out a deep breath. 

"Are you sure?" 

"Jennifer..." He gives a polite warning. 

"Alright, I will drop it." The front door opens.

"Hello, Jennifer darling." Liz coos as she opens the door and gives me a small hug.

"Hi, Liz," Greeting back. 

"Kendrick, dear." She hugs her son and gives him a small peck on the cheek. 

"Hi, mom," Kendrick replies. 

"Well, come in. It's kind of chilly tonight." Going inside, the maid takes our coats. "Everyone is in the living room having before dinner drinks."

 Following her in, Nate and his wife greeted us, and we greeted them back. Nate's children were not here, though Josephine said that the babysitter was taking care of them tonight. Kendrick's father even greeted us, which is odd for a man like him. After some small talk and a few before dinner drinks, dinner was finally served. Everyone went into the dining room and sat down. Dinner looked wonderful tonight as it normally does every time I have dinner over here. After dinner, we were all waiting for dessert. While doing so, we were having a pleasant conversation that was until Kendrick's Father said something. 

"Enough of this pleasant talk and just tell us what the gender of the child is," Rons said impatiently. 

"Ron..." Liz scolds him. 

"Don't Ron me Liz, this is what this entire dinner is about, is it not?" Liz didn't say another word and just nodded her head, a little unhappy. "Tell me the gender."

"Female," Kendrick says, watching him; he looked like he was a little intimidated by his father. Which kind of shocked me that a man like him could be intimidated. 

"An Heiress?" Ron asks. It was hard to read his emotion. 

"Yes." 

"Well, that wonderful I can't wait to meet her..." Liz coos. 

"Just hold that thought, Liz," Ron says. Liz, stop what she was about to say. The thing he says next absolutely shocked me and kind of hurt me. "An Heiress cannot run the Ryan's business. For generations, a male heir has always run it. Not once has a female heir run it, and I will be damned if I break this tradition now. I told you, Kendrick, that you had to marry someone from the higher class to keep this tradition. Someone that could have given you a male heir. Instead, you had to rebel against me and married this low-class woman, which gave you a female heir. Suppose you would have just worked things out with Lucia and married her. Had Zach instead of Nolan, this wouldn't have happened!" 

"Couldn't marry her, and I couldn't let Zach be my COO!" Kendrick snaps back at him. Liz was trying hard to get the two boys to stop fighting, but they wouldn't listen to her. The rest of us sat there quietly, listening to them.