CHAPTER# 68

Barton updated Fury on what Stark and Banner said about the wormhole.  He was told to continue overseeing that operation, while Romanoff would be sent on a mission with Rogers in another two weeks.  Fury would handle the situation regarding S.H.E.I.L.D. and it's council members.

"So are you going back to your compound for a two week vacation?" Clint asked Romanoff.

"No.  I'm coming with you to Stark's.  Once I know that portal is closed, we're going after Kazimir, so I can kill him," Natasha replied cooly.

"I don't think two weeks is enough time to accomplish that," Clint reasoned.

"Maybe.  He'll show up as soon as we start messing with his portal.  If Banner and Stark can get it to close, that's when I'll be given a chance to kill Kazimir."

Barton decided not to argue.  Having her around, would help keep the two geniuses on track.  Also it gave him a little more time with her too.  "Do you want to ride with me or are you taking a car?"

"Race you!" Natasha smirked and got into a new prototype car from Stark Industries.

In motorcycle mode, Bird arrived and Barton put the helmet on. Two seconds later he was weaving in and out of traffic and splitting lanes, on his way to Stark's place.  Bird reported to him that Romanoff was going to arrive first.

"How the hell did she get through all those cars so fast?" And he added, so Bird wouldn't start giving him details, "don't answer that, I'll find out soon enough."

He decided to give her the win, knowing it would put her in a better mood.  They'd have to explain to her about the Black Diamond secret. Hopefully the new tech and Stark not needing the reactor, could provide enough of a distraction, to prevent a backlash on him. Just in case, he had Bird notify Jarvis of Romanoff's impending arrival.  Before Barton even walked through the threshold of Stark's lab, he could hear Banner explaining about the Black Diamond.  

Natasha turned around and nailed Barton with her eyes, "I can't believe you kept this all from me."

"You were distracted by more important things," Clint said reasonably.  "I've returned the Black Diamond to its home universe.  So it has all been taken care of."

"Alright, let's see how you've applied it."  Natasha directed the request at Stark.

"Clint get that gear on, nod when you're ready," Tony said with a smirk.

Barton nodded and then Stark started shooting at him, just like when it was originally tested.  Natasha raised an eyebrow, clearly impressed.  "Why is it purple though?"

"Well we found out that the Black Diamond really is a purple organism.  Without getting to scientific with the explanation, the organism fused with the applications we wanted to use with it.  Anyway that's why you can see the purple vein on Banner and the purple aura around Barton."

Bruce had a big smile on his face. "The best news we saved for the last part.  Tony lift up your shirt and show her!"

Stark followed through on the request and was rewarded by Romanoff's gasp.  He lowered his shirt and nodded confirmation.  "I don't need the reactor anymore, the Black Diamond fused with the reactor and somehow on a molecular level the shards near my heart were absorbed by my body.  Also I've designed a few new suits, that have their own reactors and are A.I. units."

"Whoa, back up.  Your heart is no longer in danger?"  Natasha asked in amazement.

Clint replied, "well I wouldn't say that, anyone can become corrupted.  But the shards are gone, he won't die from them and he doesn't need a reactor to survive."