CHAPTER #54

Barton watched Romanoff as she went through the motions in the morning.  He didn't know what to make of her emotional state.  Her drinking herself numb, crying and letting personal feelings override a mission, was not like her at all.  Especially letting someone else see her like that.  This is what alarmed him.  He had no problem with her agenda, as he'd acted out on his own many a time to deal with personal issues.  It's one of the reasons that Director Fury fired him from S.H.E.I.L.D. on a regular basis.  Romanoff was trained to shut down all her emotions and she was good at it.  When the Black Widow came into play, the dead look in her eyes, could make any man tremble in fear.  Loosing control, he wasn't sure how to handle. The only thing he knew to do, was ride the wave with her.  Watch her back, rescue her if need be; from herself or others.  How long she had juggled this mission of finding the council member tied to Romanoff's past, he wasn't sure.  But he would not rat her out to Fury.

Clint looked over a Natasha and asked again, "are you ready to go?"  When she still didn't respond, he tapped her arm, "Tasha?"

That brought her back to the present.  "Sorry, I was just thinking about when we first met."

"What about it?"

"Nothing.... are you ready?" Natasha asked.

"I've been waiting on you," he said dryly.

A curt nod and she took lead like usual.  When Romanoff made her report to Director Fury about travelling to Iceland, he told them to come back to the airship first.  That annoyed her, but she obeyed.  Barton tagged along, once they arrived back on the hellicarrier.  He hoped that the S.H.E.I.L.D scientists had figured out an over-suit that would block out the freezing temperatures of Iceland, but still allow him the maneuverability he needed. He had to wait, as Fury wanted him present while Romanoff debriefed. It was in code, something Romanoff and Fury had used in the past, for missions that were not to be known by S.H.E.I.L.D.

The whole time they were on the hellicarrier, Romanoff seemed to be herself, at least no one but Barton noticed differently.  To his relief, the tech boys had come up with a suit that helped buffer the cold.  Once they were stocked up with provisions and in the new suits, Barton flew out with a quinjet, Bird cloaked and following.

Natasha looked at Clint, "thanks for not saying anything."

"You know I wouldn't.  Who am I to judge you anyway.  You know how many times I've gone rogue."  Clint smirked at her.

"Sometimes I think you do it, just to piss off the Director."

"That or to get under Agent Hill's skin.  I wonder how she likes being cooped up," Clint chuckled and glanced over at Natasha.  She smiled and rolled her eyes. 

Barton's wrist flashed and he knew Bird had a message for him, that was for his ears only.  He tapped the screen and she relayed the message via text.  Both Stark and Banner had disappeared, due to a Black Diamond incident.

"We're taking a short detour.  I need to swing by Stark's place and check on something," Clint explained as he banked the quinjet left.

"There's no rush.  Can I take Bird, while you see Tony?" Natasha asked.

"Sure, I'll call her through Jarvis, when I'm ready."

He parked the quinjet on the landing pad and waited until Bird left with Romanoff.  Then he went into the building and had Jarvis tell him what happened. "Hawkeye I am not sure what happened.  They were testing the Black Diamond with Tony's new suit and they both disappeared."

"So you've lost all contact?"

"Yes sir."

Clint groaned, "was Banner present or the Hulk when they bleeped out?"