CHAPTER #46

Barton spent the day dressed like an afghan woman, which was okay at first.  The veil was annoying at best, but no one could see his face.  He hated the restricted vision, yet found that his other senses were heightened due to being impaired visually.  He went to the market, purchased some fresh produce, which he ate as he walked the streets (which meant lifting up the veil to access his mouth).  As the sun began to set, Barton ran into a man that wouldn't take no for an answer. So he invited the man into a back alley, made sure there was no one around and then proceeded to kick his ass.  The burqa got in the way and was cumbersome, but he still got his point across, that a woman can be just as violent as a man if she should choose to be.  The man was begging forgiveness in the dirt by the time Barton was done.  He then took off the burqa and retuned to being seen as a man tourist at night.  Yet he now had a new respect for afghan women, due to having worn the burqa all day.

As usual to find out what the street gossip was, he went to a few of the local bars.  Didn't matter where he went, get a man drunk enough and he'll tell you all his secrets. The man that he got the most useful information from was named Aarif.  He was a waiter at Le Jardin restaurant, which was a classy and pricey place.  Some kind of political summit was being held that week and military powers were involved.  Barton would pose as a waiter and probe into whether or not the Council member he was looking for was there.

"Bird book me a Garden Deluxe room at the Serena Hotel please," Clint said.  He'd check out the business district and would play the part for that cover too.  Big tips to staff, would get him some enthusiastic help and connections.

He knew that once he found the Council member, then Romanoff would put being the Director of S.H.E.I.L.D. on hold in order to come and interrogate the man herself.  Maybe then Barton could get some quality time with her, or so he hoped.

"Sir there is a small group of men approaching with machine guns, it looks like two military men are being ambushed," Bird suddenly reported and advised on which streets the incident would take place.

Barton went high onto a roof top, to scan the area. As expected machine gun fire broke through the usual city sounds.  The military men were killed and the group dispersed.  Today was not a good day to be working for the Afghan army.  He had Bird pick him up and take him to the hotel, so he could check in. Then he would reconnect with Aarif around noon tomorrow and join the wait staff for the political summit.  Hopefully while Barton was there, no bombings or terrorist attacks would play out.

** ~ ~ ~ ~ ~**~ ~ ~ ~ ~ **

Meanwhile back on the helicarrier, Romanoff was enjoying being Director.  To make HYDRA happy, she made Goldman her second in command. As far as he was concerned, she was still an undercover HYDRA agent. As acting Director, she also had access now to find out where Steve Rogers was on assignment.   His report was that he'd be wrapping up the operation soon and be returning home.  She had to prevent this from happening, as he needed to stay out of her plans.  Knowing that 75% of the agents on the helicarrier, that worked as officers, were HYDRA plants, she plotted how to get rid of them and detain Captain America.

"Agent Goldman, I need to speak to you about a special operation," Natasha said.

"Yes Director, how can I be of service," he winked at her.

They went to a room that was not monitored.  "We can't have Captain America returning yet.  I need you and all our other HYDRA-S.H.E.I.L.D. agents to go after him.  If you can capture him, even better."  She gave him the co-ordinates and told him to keep it quiet, but he had to leave immediately.

"Where do we take him if we capture him?"  Agent Goldman asked.

"HYDRA headquarters of course," Natasha instructed.  She knew the Cap could handle himself and that these HYDRA men would never capture him, unless he wanted it to happen.  If necessary she would call in Barton to help the Cap.

With the HYDRA agents away, she could set her trap for the other Council members.  This trap would also involve HYDRA and flush out the truth.  Then Fury could return as Director and clean house.  This all depended on everything going to plan.  Experience made her know that nothing ever went exactly as strategized, so she had two contingencies in place.  The most severe of her plans, was destroying the helicarrier completely, but she hoped it wouldn't come to that.  What she wanted was to be back out in the field, like she was supposed to be.  An operation with Barton on a hot desert island, would be ideal.  The smile that tweaked her lips, was gone as soon as the door to the secured room opened.  Day dreaming like a little school girl, wouldn't get her task done.

** ~ ~ ~ ~ ~**~ ~ ~ ~ ~ **

While Romanoff was working as Director, Fury was having his hands full with Agent Hill.  She wouldn't listen that S.H.E.I.L.D. was actually being run by HYDRA and was completely corrupt.  He didn't want to continue drugging her, but he couldn't concentrate when she was yelling insults at him constantly.  He left his compound and made arrangements to take Hill to another secure location, where he didn't have to listen to her bitch.  There were times when her by the book attitude worked for him, but this time was not the case. Once Romanoff reported that she had the names of the Council members and confirmed their affiliation with HYDRA, then he would return to the helicarrier.  If HYDRA had taken over, like a bunch of swarming ants, then he'd create a new agency to protect the world.