CHAPTER #32

While Banner patched him up, Clint reported what he'd seen in the HYDRA compound.  "Tony almost all the technology they had, or some component of it, was from Stark Industries.  You must have a leak or one of their agents working for you."

"Damn it, I've had a suspicion of that myself and you just confirmed it."

"I recognized one guy's voice, but can't place him or remember the face that goes with the voice," Clint added.  

"I guess I'll have to stop playing with the black diamond and focus on my own problems for a while," Tony sighed.

"That reminds me," Clint said, "I saw Reeser's portal machine and no where in their technology wing did they have another black diamond."

Bruce finally spoke up, as he finished sewing the stiches in Barton's legs.  "We managed to get it to duplicate itself.  While you were away having your own version of fun in the bars, we made a lot of progress."

"Now there's two of them?" Clint asked in wonder.

"Try five.  And it likes my chest reactor," Tony tapped his chest.

"What did you mean, when you said it 'likes' it?" Clint questioned.

Tony brought him one of the diamond fused reactors, "it re-energizes my spent ones.  The power kick it gives off is nuts.  Oh and if I use a blaster it opens a universal portal."

Clint swore. "Wow that's crazy."

Jarvis interrupted, "Hawkeye, Director Fury is on the line."

"What do you want Fury?" Clint asked.

"I wanted to thank you for rescuing our agent and finding the new HYRDA compound," Fury's voice said.  "I would like you to rethink joining S.H.E.I.L.D. again."

"I'll sleep on it," Clint replied.

He waited until Director Fury disconnected, then Clint asked, "does Fury know about the diamond yet?"

"No and he's not going to.  We all know that in the wrong hands this black diamond could be a powerful weapon," Bruce said and Stark nodded in agreement.

"Thanks for sewing me back up Bruce," Clint sighed.  "It's been a long day.  Can I crash in one of your guest rooms?"

Tony nodded, "are you hungry?"

Clint replied, "nothing that can't wait until morning. Sleep is more important.  I've got some jet lag too."

"In the morning then," Tony said.

"Good night Barton."  Once he was gone, Bruce then added, "he's still upset about Romanoff."

"Maybe meeting with Fury is a good idea.  He could get some answers finally," Tony suggested.

"At least he can't fight them, or he'll pull his stitches."

"Do you think I should go with him?" 

"I think Director Fury will ask him to come back.  Both of them can be stubborn hot heads, but Barton's one of the best agents they have," Bruce said.

Tony agreed, "sure, but will Barton go back to S.H.E.I.L.D?"

Jarvis put in his two cents by explaining the probability statistics.

"I'm with Jarvis on that one," Bruce chuckled.

"I guess we'll find out tomorrow," Tony sighed.  "At least if Barton does go back, they'll keep him busy.  Not to mention that he'll keep an eye out for anything more to do with the black diamond."

** ~ ~ ~ ~ ~**~ ~ ~ ~ ~ **

In the morning Barton, was taken by Iron Man to the airship. He wore his usual uniform and gear, same as when he had left S.H.E.I.L.D.  Once on board, agent Hill met him. She was cold, but professional.  He was led to one of their interrogation rooms and sat down to wait for Director Fury.

"Agent Barton," Nick Fury said in greeting.  "I understand we have you to thank for the safe return of our agent."

Barton nodded, but said nothing.

Director Fury cleared his throat, " it seems I was a little too hasty in firing you."

"The way I remember it, I quit," Clint said calmly.  "When I'm ready to return, I'll look you up."

"Do that and see agent Hill to get re-instated as a S.H.E.I.L.D. agent before you leave." 

Barton could tell that there was no room to argue. So he got up and went to the observation deck. Since he'd been gone, nothing had really changed. It looked the same.

"Hello Agent Hill, miss me?" Clint asked.

She ignored his comment.  "When you return, we'll discuss your order disobedience."

"Woof," Clint barked.  "Think of it as creative problem solving. You're man is alive thanks to me.  Didn't see you or your agents at the new HYDRA location.... oh that's right, you didn't know where the new location was."

She shut up and looked at him with eyes narrowed. Then she tapped a few keys on the keypad and Barton was once again a S.H.E.I.L.D. agent. "You're active again."

"Agent Hill, I need you to sign for the supply list."

Barton turned his head to look at the agent interrupting them. His voice was familiar, but he didn't know why.

"Give me a minute agent Goldman," Maria said. To Barton she nodded, "you're dismissed."

He gave her a smart-ass salute and left.  He used his com link and called to Bird to pick him up.  Once on board, he told her to go super sonic back to Stark's place.  Barton just recalled why agent Goldman's voice bugged him. 

"You're back," Bruce said in greeting.

"Tony the leak might not be just at Stark Industries.  When I was in the HYRDA mountain, I recognized a voice from one of their agents, I didn't know where back then. Today on the hellicarrier, I heard it again.  The guy's name is agent Goldman."

"Jarvis pull up everything we know on agent Goldman," Tony said immediately.

"He's a new member of S.H.E.I.L.D.  His first name is Herrick. His parents were from East Germany."

Clint nodded, "communist side... his history points in the direction of why he'd be first a HYDRA agent and then a good spy."

"So he's passing on S.H.E.I.L.D. secrets, but that doesn't explain why my name is on HYDRA weapons.  I still have a spy in my company," Tony stated.

Bruce asked, "do you think Director Fury knows that agent Goldman is a HYDRA spy?"

"He might, but no one else would." Clint agreed.  "Want me to report it to agent Hill?"

"We have no proof and she won't believe you anyway.  That woman is hard headed and even more stubborn."

"Narrow minded," Bruce added.

"Tunnel vision," Clint put in.  "Alright I'll leave it alone."

"I'm sure agent Hill gave you a hard time about sticking your nose into matters that don't involve you.  So let her sleep in the bed she made," Tony said.  "When do they want you back?"

"I told Fury, I'll come back when I'm ready," Clint grinned.

"How many times have you quit or been fired from S.H.E.I.L.D.?" Bruce asked.

Clint shrugged, "enough times to know how to manipulate them."

"Good, because I have another assignment for you." Tony grinned and took a sip of his whiskey on the rocks.