CHAPTER #40

Barton was at Stark Industries working as an employee. He was on his scheduled lunch break when Hong Duk approached him.

"We need to talk.  Come with me," Hong stated.

Clint replied, "can't it wait, I'm having my lunch."

"Now. Unless you want me to call the police about your little adventure last night."

Barton sighed.  Why did they always interrupt him when he was trying to eat?  "Alright, don't get your panties in a twist."  He followed Duk into his office.

"Sit down.  I have you on video stealing Stark Industry tech.  Explain yourself."

"I don't have to tell you shit," Clint said with the required amount of hostility.

Hong smiled, "I have a proposition for you.  I don't tell the police or Mr. Stark and you work for my friend."

"I don't go through middle men.  If your friend  wants to work with me, then said friend can meet me for a drink at the Hog Pit once my shift is done."

Duk didn't like that this employee was calling all the shots, but Beck would straighten him out.  "Alright.  If you don't show, I call Stark and the police."

Barton grunted, got up and left.  He was in, the plan was working.  Unfortunately he had to finish the shift at Stark Industries and that meant the time dragged by.  Once done his shift, he clocked out and rode Bird to the Hog Pit bar.  He ordered a burger and fries, not expecting it to be very edible.  Then he ordered a rum and coke.  When his food arrived, so did Beck.  He pretended not to see him, but Beck recognized Barton immediately.

"What's an Avenger doing stealing from his teammate?" Quentin asked.

"I have to pay the bills some how.  Saving the world from aliens doesn't happen every day and it doesn't pay worth a damn," Clint replied around a french fry.

"My sources say that you work for S.H.E.I.L.D. and that's a steady pay check."

"If you have all the answers then why ask the question?" Clint shot back.

"What are you up to Barton?  Word has it you killed Nick Fury."

"What I'm up to is why you're here in the first place. And yes, Fury got in my way and he paid the ultimate price."  Romanoff would be proud of his lying capabilities.

"Who is your buyer? Is it HYDRA?"  Quentin demanded in a dangerous voice.

Clint kept his fork in his hand, ready to strike if necessary. "Let me guess you're working for them too?"

Beck swore and relaxed, ordering a shot of whiskey.  "So they're trying to cut me out.  Bad move.... We could form a partnership of sorts.  Make HYDRA pay even more."

He didn't want to come across as being too eager to work with Beck. "I work alone, less complicated that way," Clint replied taking a bite of his burger.

"If you join me, we can make HYDRA pay double what they're paying us now."

Barton pretended to think about it and weigh his options, as he slowly chewed the burger.  The meat was low grade and made him wonder if it was even beef.  When Beck began to fidget with his shot glass, Clint finally replied.  "Alright, what's your proposal?"

They discussed the details and came to an agreement. During their talk Beck let slip that Stark Industries wasn't the only tech he was stealing.  He also said he had a spy working for S.H.E.I.L.D., that was separate from HYDRA's agents.  Both men paid their tabs and walked outside.  They made arrangements to meet again tomorrow night.  Beck would have a list of things they were required to get for HYDRA, starting with Stark Industries.  This would allow Barton to know who was loyal to Stark, who worked for Beck and how HYDRA was involved.  Beck was crazy and in no way did Barton trust him, but for now they'd seemingly work together. He knew that the first chance Beck got, the thief would try to double cross or kill him.  

While Barton was diving head first in to the world of industrial espionage, Romanoff put her plan in motion.  Agent Hill's health began to show the side effects of Romanoff's potion. That kept HYDRA off her back, as all the pieces of the proverbial chessboard fell into place.  She also was able to check in with Fury, to make sure his new location was ready to accommodate agent Hill, when necessary.  The only problem she was having, was that not all the players in the game, were known to her.  Once she became the Director, then she'd have access to the rest of the Council. Too many things could go wrong and there would only be two days, before Barton got thrown into the mix too.

"Money is the root of all evil," Nick said as Romanoff walked around the new compound.

Natasha snorted, "that's not true.  Power is the root of all evil, but money helps you get it."

"You're a shrewd woman," Nick said.

"It's a required skill in my line of work.  Speaking of which, are you ready to have Maria Hill as an involuntary guest?"

"Unfortunately yes.  Hopefully she'll see the big picture once she recovers from the poison," Nick stated.

"Probably not at first, she'll just be all righteous and angry.  But you've handled her before, so this will be no different," Natasha said confidently.

"Explain to me again why you are bringing Barton into the mix?"

"That's easy, I need someone I can trust, as I step right in the hornets nest.  With all his stubborn pigheadedness, he always has my back.  Not to mention he is still listed as a S.H.E.I.L.D. agent."

Nick rotated his shoulders, the weight of the world seemed to be on them.  "Just be careful when you go after Stark and Banner.  You know that Barton is close friends with those two."

"Right, that might cause a problem.  But I can handle Barton."

Fury couldn't understand how after everything that had happened, why Romanoff still had blind trust in Barton.  They always had been professional with each other, but he was beginning to suspect that their connection was a little more personal.  He'd be watching them closely, but he trusted that Romanoff would do her job.