CHAPTER #9

The next couple of days they rode around the city, trying to find a lead on the boat, the driver or even the missing scientist.  Frustration began to set in.  Nick Fury finally approved the go-fast boat for Barton's race at the end of the week.  The race would go out to the Spratly Islands and back.  There were seven boats that were participating in the race.  It was $312,750,000 dong or  $15 000 USD entry fee.

Natasha looked at Barton when they picked up the go-fast boat from another S.H.E.I.L.D. agent and went for a ride.  "Have you ever raced one of these boats?"

"Not personally been the driver, but as part of the crew."

"Really, when?"

Clint grinned at her, "I had a life too before I became an agent.  Before I met you." He opened the throttle and they shot down the channel towards open ocean.

Romanoff sat down in the co-pilot seat and put on the seat belt. The black boat sliced through the waves, better than any other speedboat she'd been on.  When they caught air going over a big wave, it made her nervous, but gave an exhilarating feeling too.  

"What's so difficult about this?  The power of the boat does all the work."

"Take the wheel and give it a try," Clint said.

She did as he said and they then changed places.  Then she felt it, to hold the boat on course, required skill.  The waves wanted to tip them over.  Romanoff gave the wheel back to him.

"When there is wake from another boat, especially when there is one on each side of you, it's really hard to keep her steady.  Learning to take the best path, with least resistance is part of the skill.  Then knowing when to use your throttle and gas mixture, all factor into it."

To prove his point he followed the wake left by a cruise ship and it felt like being hit by a battering ram.  Barton steered them clear and headed back inland. Going up the channel, he reduced the speed considerably.  They cruised to a dock that was along the Ton Duc Thang.  This is where they tied the boat and paid off the dock manager.

"So does this make me part of your crew?" Natasha asked.

"I wouldn't have it any other way."

She nodded. "Are we going back to Lush tonight?  If I recall correctly, a blond asian is waiting for you to dance with her."

He looked at his partner.  Did he detect a little jealousy in her tone? With a straight face Clint  answered, "I have to go, since Long and his buddies will be there to finalize race details.  You don't have to come if you want to go elsewhere."

"No that's fine. I liked that place. And it's not often I get to have this kind of fun on a job," Natasha winked.

"Keep your eyes out for Russians or anyone else who looks out of place. If our friends want a way out of Ho Chi Min city without drawing too much attention, then they'll want to get information on the race tomorrow night." 

"Should we pack our gear and put it in the boat, incase we see the HYDRA agents or the Russians and have to pursue?" Natasha asked.

"Good idea.  We should check out tomorrow morning too," Clint said.

They got on their dirt bikes and rode back to the hotel.  For once they didn't race each other.  There was so much traffic; cars, humans, bicycles and mopeds.  It took them longer than expected to get back to the hotel.  Agent Barton talked to the front desk and arranged to exchange the motorbikes for a car.  They would need a vehicle to take their gear to the boat, after the club, that night.  Both checked their things and packed what they wouldn't need to go to the club. The rest would be done when they returned in the early am. Agent Romanoff reported in to S.H.E.I.L.D. and then they went sight seeing, to kill time.