CHAPTER #67

Barton didn't call ahead to announce to Stark that he would be dropping by.  It was time to find out exactly what Banner and Stark had done with the Black Diamond. Last time they spoke, Stark had said something about the diamond bonding with them.  They had also said that the diamond organism had replicated so many times, that they didn't know which piece was the original.  That in itself was cause for alarm.  He had Bird remain cloaked, until they landed.  Jarvis was sure to notice them as soon as contact was made with the building, and that meant Stark would know he had arrived.

"Barton, how do you like being Fury's pet?" Tony said in greeting, as the doors of the elevator opened.

"Shut up Stark.  What have you done with the diamond, that you couldn't tell me about last time?"  Clint asked.

Bruce appeared suddenly out of thin air, which meant he'd used the diamond to portal jump.  "Hi Barton, when did you get here?"

"Just now. I was about to show him what we've been up to," Tony replied.

"You're going to be shocked for sure.  Give him a drink first," Bruce suggested.

Clint's eyes narrowed, "I'll make my own drink.  Get on with it."

Stark smiled and lifted up his shirt.  Immediately Barton saw that the reactor was no longer implanted in his chest. Scars from surgery were the only evidence it had ever been there and they too seemed to be fading.  

"How?" Was all Clint managed to say in his shock.

"Well that Black Diamond of yours, initially bonded with the reactor.  I think I told you about that.  It enhancing the power was the first thing we noticed. But another side effect was that the shrapnel that was inching towards my heart, the diamond's added energy somehow made my body change the atoms of the shard. That resulted in my body being able to absorb it.  It mutated some how and I no longer needed the rector, so I had it removed."

"Shit that's incredible, you should have told me that sooner. I bet Pepper is thrilled about that!"

Bruce chimed in, "that's not all.  Tony's been working on his suit too and Iron Man has his own reactor, powering the suit."

"Best of all, is that I've created more suits that humans don't need to wear.  I've installed AI units, something like Bird, but are designed to protect humans no matter what."

Clint scratched his head.  "Wasn't that tried before with the military and it backfired, when they were hacked and attacked you and everyone else?"

"True, but they didn't have the Black Diamond back then like we did.  The AI units are much more advanced and self learning too.  They're like my children."

Bruce chuckled, "don't let Pepper hear you say that or she'll kick your ass."

"They're my personal fleet of loyal...," Tony paused not sure how to explain it.

"Like a dog?" Clint asked.

"Yes, but better."

"Don't worry, I'm helping him develop an override system, that if any unit does malfunction we can shut it down remotely." Bruce added reassuringly.

"I still don't trust those new suits, but I'm happy for you about the shard being gone.  So what else have you two been doing?"

"I've been messing with your uniform, so to speak.  We've created a vest, sunglasses and foot wear that uses the Black Diamond organism.  It links you, when you're wearing it all, with the diamond.  Try it on."  Tony grabbed the gear and handed it to Barton.

"Okay, now what?" Clint asked.

Without warning, Tony shot at Barton, unloading a full clip.  "As you can see, the diamond put up a purple aura or barrier and protected you from the bullets."