CHAPTER #22

Once agent Barton returned to the Hellicarrier, the medics gave him pain medication.  They also injected a serum that helped with muscle repair.  He was ordered by Dr. Henry Pym not to use his arm for four days, but then he would be able to return to active duty.  Sometimes it amazed him the advances in science and medicine that Dr. Pym came up with.  He was the one who created the healing agent for muscle repair.  Dr. Pym also had played an important role in reviving the Captain from the ice.  So if Dr. Pym, 'Hank' to his friends, said to not use his arm, then he wouldn't.  But Barton was bored.  He looked at the assignment that agent Romanoff was on.  She'd already been reassigned to another operation being conducted with another team.  Her interrogation skills were in need once again.  She'd be part of that operation for a few weeks.  From the information on the assignment, it should be a breeze for her.  She'd be happy that this time there was no trekking through the bush or mountain climbing to be done.

Director Fury was looking over some video, when he called agent Barton to the observation deck.  "I need you to review the security coverage here.  Find any anomalies, patterns, the usual and have a report for me tomorrow."

It was something to do and agent Barton went to work, asking no questions.  As he watched the footage, he knew what his new operation would be, once his shoulder was healed.  It didn't take long for him to have the report ready for Director Fury.

"While your arm heals I just want you to observe and track.  We're not sure what is going on, could be that I'm being over cautious.  If a situation develops, report in before taking action. Is that understood agent Barton?" Director Fury asked.

Clint said, "yes sir."

"You'll be dropped on location in two hours,"  Director Fury said.

Agent Barton nodded and left to pack his gear.  He didn't like that he was assigned to watch a colleague and friend.  But after the video he'd reviewed, the actions of the subject, did cause concern. He believed that Fury was just being overly cautious. This was one time, he'd just do as he's told and not ask questions.  He hoped it would remain purely an observational assignment. 

He was air dropped onto a building that was a block away from his target.  Then as he moved into position across from where he needed to be, agent Barton scanned the area to familiarize himself.

He checked in with agent Hill.  "I'm in position and observing the target.  Do we have any way of tracking him if he uses the device?" Clint asked.

"You'll figure something out," agent Hill replied.

"Great, thanks." Clint disconnected and set up a small pop tent further back from his observation point.  He had a feeling he'd be watching his man for a while.

Agent Reeser was working on a device for universal transport, but he'd taken it out of the S.H.E.I.L.D.  laboratory.  That, compounded with him not telling Director Fury what exactly he was working on, cast enough suspicion for an agent to observe him from a distance.  They didn't know what the device could do or if he planned on using it in a negative way.  

It didn't take long for agent Barton to see that the device was operational. He witnessed it open a small portal and then close. This he reported immediately to agent Hill, but was still told to stand down and just observe. Nothing else happened that day.  It wasn't for another four days, before agent Reeser had company.  The person visiting him, was not anyone associated with S.H.E.I.L.D. There was an exchange of a suitcase and then the person left.  As agent Barton quickly learned, the suitcase contained a large amount of money. Over the next week that money was used to have various electronics delivered to Reeser's location and pay for fast food.  The electronics he then took apart and certain components were added to his device. This time when the device was tested, the portal opened and remained open until Reeser turned it off.  He proceeded to remove a gem stone of some sort.  The gem looked like a diamond, but it was either a dark purple or black. It was the first time in weeks that Reeser actually left the building.  Agent Barton tailed him on his outing, but Reeser didn't go anywhere interesting. He went to a laundry mat and did two large loads.  Next he went and ate at a classy, expensive restaurant. Reeser even ordered the most expensive bottle of champaign the restaurant had.  Eventually he returned to his building.  Late that evening a familiar face did visit. 

Once again Clint reported to agent Hill.  "A HYDRA agent just entered the building where Reeser is."

"Even if Reeser is dispatched, you are not to approach the HYDRA agent."  When she got no reply from agent Barton,  Agent Hill said, "I repeat do not engage the HYDRA agent. Just observe."

"I heard you the first time Agent Hill. I'm not deaf," Clint said sarcastically.  Sometimes how S.H.E.I.L.D. handled things seemed very wrong to him.  But he obeyed her order.

Agent Hill asked, "agent Barton are you giving me attitude?"

Clint chuckled, "whatever gave you that impression? Good-bye Agent Hill." He'd observe alright, but he would also put a tracker on the HYDRA agent's vehicle. It was one of his, that he alone could trace as long as it remain on planet Earth.

Barton quickly descended to street level and took the tracker off an arrow and attached it under the bumper of the HYDRA agent's SUV.  Then he hid in the shadows of the alley. He didn't hear a gun shot, but that didn't mean that Reeser was alive, when the HYDRA agent left.  Cautiously agent Barton went inside the building.  The lights had been shot out.  The device was gone and soon so would Reeser's life.

"Hawkeye is that you?" Reeser asked, gurgling on some blood.

Agent Barton bent down, his face close to the ex- S.H.E.I.L.D. agent, "awe Reeser, why'd you go and defect to HYDRA?"

"Needed the money."  Reeser gasped and spit out more blood, "listen. I went to the laundry down the street.  Hid diamond.  Can't work..." he coughed, spasmed and lay still.

Clint got up and left, returning to the alley.  He reported, "Reeser is dead.  HYDRA took the device he was working on."

"Good work, we'll pick you up in twenty minutes at the drop point." Agent Hill directed and then nodded at Director Fury.

It didn't give agent Barton much time to get the diamond, but he liked the challenge.  He knew the laundry mat Reeser had gone to.  Once inside Barton cocked his head to one side as he thought like Reeser, trying to decide where the diamond was hidden.  First place he looked, he came up empty.  The second location, gave him a smile, as he found the gem.  The little voice in his mind, told him that he should give the diamond to Tony Stark, not Director Fury. He went to a pay phone, punched in the private sequence, it tricked the system and connected him to Jarvis.

"I need Tony to come here now, five minutes max," Clint said, then hung up.

In seconds the phone rang back. As he'd been instructed once before, he picked it up, punched in two numbers and hung up.  He waited by the phone, watching the digital display's time.  In exactly four minutes, Ironman arrived.

"What's up Hawkeye?" Tony asked.

"HYDRA just killed ex- S.H.E.I.L.D. agent Reeser for a device that opens universal portals.  This diamond makes it work, but they don't know it's missing.  Fury let them kill Reeser. I had to stand down. Doesn't seem right.  You decide if this should be in the hands of S.H.E.I.L.D." Clint put the black diamond in Ironman's hand.

"I'll look into it.  Can I give you a lift anywhere?" 

Clint grinned and gave him the pick up ordinates. "Thanks."

Ironman took hold of him and flew him to the given location. Then Ironman gave him a nod and left.  Agent Barton waited for the quinjet to arrive.  They were later than expected, but he didn't really care.  He got in and they returned to the hellicarrier.  Barton then gave his report to agent Hill.  He was dismissed.

"Agent Hill, my arm gave me some trouble today. Requesting two days off," Clint lied.  He had seen what was on her screen, before she'd closed the window.  

She checked another screen and then said, "request approved.  Make sure when you return that you see Dr. Pym. He must clear you for active duty."

Barton nodded and left. He didn't change or hand in his quiver and arrows.  Instead he picked up a wrist tracker and put a cloak on over his gear.  He caught a ride with a quinjet that was going for supplies.  Then from their landing site,  he took a few cabs, eventually arriving at Tony Stark's house.  He needed some answers, ones only Stark could give him.