CHAPTER #39

As much as Romanoff found agent Hill annoying, she didn't want her dead. So the first thing she did after leaving the HYRDA compound was meet up with Fury.  Together and with help from some of Fury's connections, they were able to make an antidote.  How it worked, was that it would slow agent Hill's heart, just like a hypothermia victim.  So to everyone else she would appear dead. Then Romanoff would take Maria Hill to Fury, so he could keep her locked up during recovery.  HYDRA wouldn't think twice about agent Hill's complete disappearance.  Once the operation was complete, both Hill and Fury would return to S.H.E.I.L.D. once more.  That was the intent, but things never went as they should, so Romanoff had contingency plans just in case.

One such plan required Barton's assistance.  It wasn't hard to make contact and have him meet her in secret.  They didn't have much time, so Romanoff quickly told him what was going on and what she needed from him.  He didn't like it, but she knew he'd do it for her.  When they were done discussing strategy, they got a little more personal.

"I almost miss the days when we were hunting for that scientist.  Things have gotten so complicated, too fast," Natasha sighed.

Clint nodded in agreement.  "That island and sleeping on the boat, doesn't look so bad now.  I miss you Nat."

She looked at him and gave him a spontaneous hug.  "I miss working with you too."

He tilted her chin up and searched her eyes.  "Is it always just about work?"

Natasha tried to look away, but he held her chin firmly.  "No it's not and you already know that."

"Show me, because words mean nothing."

Her eyes dropped to his lips and then she let him kiss her.  It was a soft, sensual kiss, with no urgency driving it.  As she responded, he could tell there was no deception laced into their exchange.  Sexual tension did jump forward, but there was no time for that.  Her hands clutched his biceps and she pulled away.

"We can't let feelings interfere with our operation," Natasha said putting on the brakes.

Clint sighed, "always a professional.  Sometimes that makes me hate you and sometimes it makes me...."  He realized what he had been about to declare and stopped before he bared his soul to her.

Romanoff looked at him with something like longing, but she didn't finish what he'd been about to say.  Part of her knew that he had meant to finish with the words 'love you' and another part of her denied that those words held any truth.  "I've got to go.  Don't forget what you need to do and when."

Clint watched her retreat from her emotions once again.  "You know I won't fail you Nat."

Their rendezvous concluded and each went their separate ways.  Now Barton had to figure out when and how to fill Banner and Stark in on what was soon to happen.  With the two men being distracted by the black diamond, he wasn't even sure if he could depend on them to care and react.  He had some time to work it out, as the first phase of Romanoff's plan would only begin at the end of tomorrow.  She didn't need Barton for at least a week, if all went as it should.

For now Barton would continue his investigation into Beck and Stark Industries. Everything was ready, for Mr. Duk to catch him in the act of stealing.  So that night, Stark watched the video feed from the secret cameras, as Barton stole the equipment.  What they didn't expect was that Duk would shoot at Barton, but his skill was no concern, as his target's agility prevented any harm.  Barton easily escaped.  

"Bird bring up the audio please," Clint said.

"From the camera or the bug you put on Mr. Duk?" Bird asked.

"Just the bug is fine."

He knew that Stark and Jarvis would hear the same thing he would, but he still had Bird record what Duk was saying to Beck.  He was surprised how quickly Hung had reported the incident to his partner in crime.

"I might have a way for you to get deeper into Stark Industries.  We have a new employee who just stole one of the new prototypes that Stark has been developing."

Quentin asked, "how did he get it?"

"Don't know.  That's why I think we keep this secret and maybe you can work with him."

"Maybe.  Who's he selling it to?"

Hung Duk shrugged, even though Beck couldn't see him do it as they were talking on a cell phone.  "I don't know," he answered again.

"I wonder if HYDRA is trying to replace me.  Alright set up a meeting with this guy."

"Yes sir.  I will call you back when everything is in place," Hung replied.

As soon as the conversation ended, Clint called Stark.  "Did you hear that Tony?"

"Looks like you're in Barton.  Keep me posted.  Bruce is away, he's looking into something that came up with the black diamond."

There was something that Stark was leaving out, Clint could hear him purposely being vague.  "Tony what are you two doing?  Where did Bruce go?"

Tony knew Barton would get upset, so he dodged the questions.  "Don't worry about it, we have it under control.  Just concentrate on Beck.  I have to go, bye."

Now Barton was really concerned.  Stark never said bye, he usually just hung up or said some smart ass comment.  But Stark was right, he had to focus on the task at hand.  If he had to rescue Banner, he would when the time came.  He was beginning to regret ever giving those two the black diamond.  Life was getting a little too complicated, he hated all the scheming.  Baton liked simple solutions, not that he couldn't handle when things got so complex, but he preferred leaving that kind of living to Romanoff.  She was a pro at it.  They needed to go on a vacation together, for a month.  Then he could break down her defences and get her to open up to him.

"Damn it," Clint swore.

Bird asked, "something wrong sir?"

"Life."

"I don't understand," Bird replied.

"Neither do I.  Let's get to Stark Industries, my shift is about to start."