CHAPTER #31

It was easy for Barton to get back into the HYDRA mountain at night.  Even once inside, there were the darkest shadows where the lights didn't reach, to hide his presence. He went back to the technology wing to gather as much intel as possible.  Stark would have to figure out where the leak was in his company, so that he stopped unknowingly supplying the enemy with weapons.  He saw the portal device that Reeser had been working on and notice the black diamond had not been replaced yet. That was some good news at least.  What he wanted to do was sneak into the weapons area, before he had to track down Romanoff.  One HYDRA guy ordered him to stop and when he didn't, they fought.  The guy fired his gun, but emptied the chamber without hitting him.  Before he could reload with another clip, Barton came in fast and close, flicking his blade.  The man he was attacking, knew his hand to hand combat, but made the fatal mistake of getting in front of his blade when fighting.  Barton dispatched him, with a quick slash to his neck.  He hid the body behind some empty containers. That was the only interruption he had, until he got to the weapons area.  It had some kind of coding device on the outside, which meant he couldn't gain access. So it was time to go find Romanoff.  

He couldn't find her at all that night.  In the morning he got rounded up with a bunch of other HYDRA agents, to set up a few of the rooms. They carried containers into the rooms and then agents took it apart, directing them where to put what.  

"That doesn't belong in this room, it's the next one over," said some guy.

"Hey I'm just taking it where I was told to.  You wan't to relocate it, tell that to Natuska."

"Alright leave it here for now," the other relented, not wanting to confront HER.

Other than hearing his ex-partner's alias name, Barton's ears heard something else that was interesting.  One of those guys and he was pretty sure it wasn't the organizer, he knew.  He couldn't quite place the voice.  The longer he was around the guy, the more if bugged him. He was 100% sure he knew the voice, so why couldn't he remember who the person was or where he'd heard him before? All thoughts about the guy were pushed to the back of his mind when he saw Romanoff.  He couldn't take her here, too many HYDRA agents would get involved. He'd have to shadow her until he found a chance.  It wasn't hard for him to do so, with all the activity going on around her.  Anywhere she went, he was there to be directed. 

Romanoff noticed one HYDRA agent was always under foot.  Either he had a crush on her or he was just overly eager to prove himself. Whatever it was, he was getting annoying.  No matter what errand she sent him on, he always returned to her side.  She'd have to school him on giving her space later, but for now it had to wait.  Baron Von Strucker would be arriving soon and his office needed to be ready. She was personally setting up the computer monitors.  She liked having that alone time with his system, but it was interrupted by that damn pestering agent.

"Go take our S.H.E.I.L.D. hostage his rations," Natasha said.

Barton had forgotten about that agent.  He asked one of the other guys to tell him where to find the food rations and the hostage.  Maybe if he got the S.H.E.I.L.D. agent out of the mountain, Romanoff would be forced to pursue him.  They could then fight without HYDRA interference.  He liked that idea and then Fury would owe him one for the rescue. Barton got the food rations and then hunted down the holding cell for the hostage. While the guy ate, he constructed an escape plan.  Two machine gun armed guards patrolled the cells.  He didn't care whom else HYDRA had captured, he just wanted this one guy.  Barton made sure both guards were too close in range to use their guns, when he attacked.  The first guy he gave a head kick to, knocking him unconscious to the ground.  The second one was a little more skilled in his defence, using his knife to keep his attacker away.  Barton noticed the way the guard held his knife was not that of a professional.  A quick slash and smash with the butt of his blade, numbed the knife hand.  The guard dropped the knife.  As he went to pick it up, Baton darted in and slashed the femoral artery on the outside of the man's leg.  The guard would bleed out quickly.  To ensure he couldn't yell for help, Barton choked the downed guard until he went to sleep.  It seemed a little too easy.