CHAPTER #12

Romanoff was restless, but no one except agent Barton could tell. He saw what most people didn't, hence his code name Hawkeye. But it was he who could not sleep that night.  He hated being cooped up in the airship. 

Natasha found him on some upper level, doing what she had planned to do; pace.  "Couldn't sleep either?"

Clint nodded.  "You have another nightmare?"

"Sort of. Is it really classified as a nightmare, if you're not asleep?"  Natasha asked softly.

"No offence, but you look really tired.  You got very little sleep when we were out on assignment."

Natasha frowned at him and punched his arm, "gee thanks Barton."

Together they climbed up a couple of levels.  One of the levels was still under construction due to the damage caused by the Hulk and Thor's battle.  It was an area that agent Romanoff recognized and back came the anxiety. She stopped walking,  so agent Barton backtracked to her.

"What's wrong?"  Clint asked.

Natasha shook her head, "nothing."

She was lying and he knew it. "Want to do something fun?"

"Like you have to ask."

Clint launched himself off the platform they were standing on and caught one of the cables that ran vertically in front of them.  "Are you going to come?"

She backed up, ran and jumped.  She caught the cable and swung beside him. "Now what?"

He smirked and waived good-bye, "catch me if you can."

"What are we eleven years old and playing tag?"  Natasha called out.  Then she went after him.

They swung from one cable to the next, zipped down a level and then used the support beams to swing between platforms.  Barton was a natural athlete and his circus years, gave him acrobatic ability.  Romanoff was a trained spy and killer, with agility that matched his.  She caught him by launching her body at him in mid air, clamping her legs around his waist and holding him in place, as they hung from a cable.

"You win... this time,"  Clint laughed.

She smiled and let him go. They dropped down and walked back to the sleeping quarters.  Their little game, had helped her, but he could tell it had not been enough.  The reason she didn't want to sleep, was because if she had a nightmare and lost it, Director Fury had the potential of finding out. 

Feeling unsettled Natasha asked in a whisper, "will you stay with me, while I sleep?"

"Want me on the cot or in the chair?" He asked.

"Are you sleeping at all?"

"No, I'll watch over you."  Clint answered, knowing she needed rest more than he did.

"Chair then.... thank's Clint." Natasha lay down on the cot, taking deep breaths and clearing her mind.

As she slept, he did pushups and crunches on the floor.  Eventually he sat in the chair.  She got in a good two hour sleep, before the nightmare came.  She talked in her sleep, when she began to beg the attacker to stop, he woke her up.

"Natasha it's a dream," Clint said and shook her gently.

She sat up and grabbed his neck with the intent to choke, until she realized who he was and let go.  "Sorry."

He sat down on the bed, shifted the pillow behind his back and leaned against the wall.  "Lean back."

Natasha gave him a look, "I... it's okay.  I don't need to sleep."