CHAPTER #11

The gps tracker showed that the beacon was stationary.  The strange thing was that when agent Romanoff and agent Barton got near the area in the Spratly Islands, they didn't see the boat. According to the gps, they should be right beside it.

"We could be over it. They either found the tracker and threw it over board, or sunk the boat," Natasha suggested.

"Only one way to find out.  I'm going in," Clint announced.

Natasha looked at him like he was crazy.  "It's pitch black in the ocean, how are you going to see anything?"

"Alright I will wait until morning.  We'll pull close to shore of one of these islands and set anchor, until it gets light out."

He drove the boat towards the closest island, using the depth finder to prevent running into rocks.  Once the anchor was set, Barton turned off the boat. Since the boat itself was flat black, it blended well with the shore line. No one would be able to see them, if they used no lights.

"I'll take first watch, you try to get some rest," Natasha offered.

Barton nodded and carefully went below.  It would be about four hours until sunrise, he only needed two or three hours to recharge himself. The rocking of the boat in the waves, put him to sleep quickly.  Above on deck, Romanoff looked up at the stars, they were so different from the ones over North America.  Yet these stars were just as beautiful.  A few shooting stars danced across the sky for her and like the child she never got to be, she made a few wishes on them. The ocean was calm and the night quiet, it was as relaxing as it could be.  They were closing in on their target. Even if the tracker or boat was sunk, like she expected, somewhere on these clustered islands was what they were looking for. She had a strange feeling that not only would they find the missing scientist, but the research facility that was testing on human subjects.

When Barton woke up, the sun had not yet begun its ascent.  He had slept like the dead for two and a half hours and felt completely energized.  He dug in his pack for an energy bar to have as  breakfast, then went above.  

"You're turn Natasha.  You should get at least two, maybe three hours of sleep in before sunrise," Clint said looking towards the horizon.

"It's beautiful out here, the calm before the shit storm we're going to unleash."

He nodded and watched her go below.  Then he relieved himself over the side of the boat, before sitting back to admire the sky.  Time seemed to stand still, but at the same time sped by so quickly.  The sun began to breach the skyline, it was time to get the boat to the dive site.  Barton brought up the anchor and then started the engines. As quietly as he could he took the boat to the gps location from earlier.  The sound still seemed tremendously loud, in the still morning.  Agent Romanoff came up from below, carrying his flippers and mask.  He went below to change into the wetsuit and haul up the scuba tanks.  He also handed her an energy bar, which she accepted.  Together they got him ready and he fell backward overboard.  Romanoff would keep the boat from drifting too far.  It seemed to her that agent Barton was gone forever, only a few bubbles broke the surface, letting her know where his location was.

In the ocean, agent Barton found the boat.  It had a hole in the side of the hull, which clearly was from a man made blast.  The boat had been sunk intentionally.  He checked it out, but nothing was left behind to leave a clue of its owners.  He retrieved the tracking device and then began to return to the surface of the ocean.  He located the boat and waited for agent Romanoff to get close enough for him to get back on board.

"They sunk the boat.  We'll have to check out each island, or wait to see if any go-fast boats head back towards Thailand or Ho Chi Minh," Clint reported.

"I'll call in to Fury, maybe they can get satellite or some areal views of these islands to narrow down the search."

He took off his gear and dried off, before going below to change.  By the time he came back up, she was done talking to Fury.  "He will send the satellite images to the laptop.  If they are not clear enough, he'll send a jet that can be cloaked, to get closer visuals."

"Good idea, we don't want to alert our target that we are looking for them."  Clint began  towelling his hair dry.

The satellite images showed that they were among a cluster of islands, some were just a bunch of rocks and bush or sand.  The bigger islands held buildings and a few even had airstrips.  The ones with any kind of building on them, would be the islands that they would investigate. From the looks of things, they would have to go in at night with scuba gear to check the buildings and leave.  Even with the frequent boat traffic, they'd be too noticeable during the day.  There were five islands that had the interest of these agents.  Those were the ones that agent Romanoff requested to have the jet get clearer pictures. Once they received the images on the laptop from the jet, they narrowed their search down to three islands. Two were in close proximity of each other, so agent Barton and agent Romanoff made plans to investigate those that evening.  During the day they went to Puerto Princesa to eat and fill their scuba tanks.  Barton also purchased two underwater propulsion devices, so they wouldn't need to wear flippers.  This also meant they would get to the islands faster.  While he did that, Romanoff got some supplies, just incase they would be out on the water longer than anticipated.

Night came, the anchor to the boat was set and the pair of agents dropped quietly into the water.  Each wore a blade on their calf muscle and on their forearm.  Agent Romanoff wore an underwater gps, to help them locate the islands.  The underwater propulsion devices pulled them easily through the dark ocean.  If there were any sharks or other sea life in the area, they stayed away from these alien beings that disturbed the underwater world.  Once they could touch the ground near shore, the devices were turned off.  Just their faces rose above the water, to scan their surroundings.  The agents came ashore and hid their gear among some rocks. Together they crept forward, staying low to the ground.  The first island had a few buildings, but all was quiet and it was crossed off their list.  After returning to their gear and then back to the ocean, the second island was their destination.  This island too had no inhabitants.  So back they went to the boat and onward to the third island. Into the ocean they went.  The third island had a dock that went out into the deep water.  Under this the agents surfaced.  Agent Romanoff heard voices and signalled this to agent Barton.

Natasha whispered into his ear.  "I heard two voices above us.  I'm going to swim back out and check them out.  Wait here."  Romanoff did as she said and returned quickly.  "They have machine guns.  Looks like one is stationed further up the beach, but came down for a smoke."

Clint nodded.  "Choke them out. I take one and you the other.  Do it quietly."

They were like lizards, moving fast and with violent intent.  The men they attacked, barely had a chance to register they were not alone, before they lost consciousness.  Barton checked the wrist of the man he took down, but no HYDRA tattoo was present. That said nothing, other than these two were local men.  Agent Barton went first, once he was by the building closest to the water, he checked around, before waiving agent Romanoff to come in.  Together they slunk forward.  Any person they encountered they put to sleep.  The further inland they went, the more armed men they saw.  The clothing on the men changed from casual to fatigues.  

"Hawkeye, go up that tower and check if you see any building that could be where the research is being done," Natasha whispered.

He nodded and disappeared.  Five minutes later, she saw him in the observation tower choking out an armed guard.  A few minutes after that he returned.  "Three buildings have potential.  They are heavily surrounded.  The man in the tower, had a HYDRA tattoo.  We need to get out undetected.  If we put anymore to sleep, they'll know their security was breached and just move."

She nodded and they retreated the way they had come.  At the dock, they quickly got back into their scuba gear and went under.  Once they'd returned to the boat, they took off their gear and Barton got the anchor up.  They cruised past another island and then he opened it up.  They raced to Puerto Princesa and only slowed when they came close to the commercial harbour.  Agent Romanoff was already reporting their findings to Director Fury.  They were instructed to refuel and then where to rendezvous with the agents that would transfer them from the go-fast boat to jet.  Fury didn't tell them if this assignment had been completed or not.  They'd find out once they were back on the airship.