Chapter 45

Chapter 45

So tell me why,

You don't care enough to try,

Are you giving up this fight, I

Can’t stand,

Won’t stand

Losing you.

- Busted, Losing You  

Luna’s P.O.V

Wednesday morning was awful.

The head teacher called the whole school into one giant assembly, and then a school councillor gave a grave speech on ‘Adriana’s abduction’.

“I understand this is a hard time for many of you,” she said, face drawn with sympathy that made me feel sick, “and if anyone feels they need to talk, my office is right next to the staff room.”

She went on, telling us all to be careful of strangers and to look out for one another, and ended by saying that the police were sure to find Addie soon, and not to worry. Theo was mentioned as ‘a distraught boy who the police are sure to bring home as soon as possible’.

But to the rest of the school, it was like a funeral.

Emily, Mary, and several other girls, some I was pretty sure had never even talked to Addie, were crying as we filed out the school hall. They might as well have announced her death.

“She was such a great person,” Erin sniffed, not quite crying but definitely blinking back tears. “Why would anyone want to hurt her?”

“And I can’t believe Theo’s gone after her, too,” Emily wailed.

“Yeah, Theo was great. And those two were the cutest couple-”

“Guys,” I said irritably. “They’re not dead.

They turned to look at look at me in surprise. “Yeah, we know,” Emily said, as though it was obvious.

“Wonder why no one’s found Theo,” James mused. “He didn’t have a car, and people would have recognised him from the news, right? So how come he’s disappeared of the face of the earth?”

Alan wrinkled his nose. “I never really liked the guy much-”

“Fuck off, douche,” I snapped at him, and James shook his head at him, muttering, “Not cool, bro.”

“Hey, guys.” Derek appeared next to us.

“Hey. Where’s Rubes?” I asked.

Derek jammed his thumb over his shoulder. “The school councillor got to her before I could.”

I pulled a face, and Emily and Erin came over to Derek, simpering.

“How’re you doing, Derek?” Erin asked, her voice hushed like he was a terminally ill patient.

Derek gave her an awkward smile, completely different to his usual bright and easy one. “Okay.”

“Oh yeah, Addie was your cousin!” Mary, who had just appeared, gaped at Derek with wide, tear filled eyes. “Oh God, you must be so torn up right now.”

Derek looked away, determinedly searching through the crowd for Ruby-May. He might have acted cool ever since Addie had gone, but I could see now how much it was really hurting him to have his best friend and cousin disappear in one go.

“Guys, lay off,” I suggested.

Erin gave me an irritated look. “We’re just asking if he’s okay.”