Chapter 17

Chapter.... 17 :)

Somebody,

Somebody,

Can anybody find me...

somebody to love?

-Queen, Somebody to love

Luna’s P.O.V

“Oh my Gosh!” Squealed Ruby-May, her golden curls bouncing as she dashed towards a shop window. “They’re on sale!”

“What are?” Addie asked, catching my eye and grinning.

“The shoes! Y’know, the ones I was telling you about! The shoes!”

My forehead crinkled. “Which shoes were they?”

“Y’know, the shoes. The purple ones.”

“Oh, those shoes.” Addie peered into the shop window. “Aww. Pretty.”

“And on sale!” Ruby-May clapped her hands happily.

“Go buy them then,” I encouraged. “They would look so cute on you.”

Rubes didn’t need any more encouragement. In a second she was in the shop. Addie and I went in with her, admiring the shelves of shoes.

“How’s your Mom?” Addie asked me gently, watching me stroke the soft suede on a pair of knee length black boots.

“Fine,” I assured her lightly. “She’s fine. You don’t need to worry so much; loads of people go through break-ups.”

“I know,” Addie sighed, “but I can imagine your mom being a bit, uh...”

“Melodramatic?” I suggested. Addie smiled sheepishly.

“Sort of, yeah.”

“I guess I can see why,” I laughed. “But seriously, don’t worry. She sometimes spaces out, and she has this habitat of going a bit, uh... crazy, but it’s nothing serious.”

“You sure?”

“I’m sure.” I checked the bottom of the boots. They were my size. “I’m sure it must’ve been worse for your mom.”

“I never thought about that,” Addie murmured. “I guess it would’ve been...” She gave her head a little shake, like a dog trying to clear water out its ears. “Those are pretty.”

“Not too expensive, either,” I mused.

“Hey guys!” Ruby-May skipped over with the bag swinging from her wrist. “I got them!”

“Let me see them clearly.” Addie grabbed the bag and looked inside. “They’re beautiful, Rubes!”

“Thanks.” Ruby-May smiled. Shopping always made her go a bit... mental. She turned to appraise the boots I was admiring. “Those are so cute!”

“D’you think I should get them?” Normally, I would’ve bought them without a second thought. But ever since Dad had left- taking most of his money and business income with him- I had been more careful with money. And just more sensible, I guess. Like I wasn’t such a kid anymore.”

“Sure! You can wear them to my party,” Addie said happily. I shrugged.

“Maybe I should.”

“Go for it,” Ruby-May encouraged. I gave in with a smile, and went to try them on. It made me feel a little more myself, spending money on nice things. If I wanted to find a guy, I’d have to look nice.

But you don’t just want any guy, I reminded myself. You want a guy who’ll love you whether you look nice or not.

Oh, what are the chances of that?