Chapter 30

“Sometimes you put walls up not to keep people out, but to see who cares enough to break them down.”
-Anon

Chapter 30 (ALREADY??? :O)

Addie’s P.O.V

When I reached the Moonstone house, I could tell instantly that Theo knew I’d brought Caleb and Lilith along. And I could tell instantly he wasn’t happy about it.

He was waiting by the end of the path, his eyes firm and a slight tilt to the edge of his mouth that meant he was unhappy. I backed the car to the end of the drive and turned the engine off.

“Oh boy,” I muttered to myself.

“He does not look happy,” Caleb agreed.

“Well, he’s an idiot.” I sighed and undid my seat belt. “Can you guys stay for a sec? I’ll be five minutes.”

I slipped out the car and headed towards Theo. His eyes followed me, still stony.

“Um...” I stopped a few feet away from him. “Hi?”

The stony look softened, but not much. “Why did you bring them, Ade?”

“They came round, and I said I’d drop them back home.”

I knew instantly that I shouldn’t have said that. Theo’s eyebrows furrowed. “They came to your house? What the hell were they doing there?”

“Unless you’d forgotten, they hunt on our land, too,” I said irritably. “They were just dropping round to say hi, because they’re my friends.” I emphasised the last word, and Theo’s frown increased.

“They’re Vamps, Ade.”

Not again. “Oh, for God’s sake, Thee...”

“I’m just saying...”

I shook my head. “You need to stop being so damn over-protective, Theo. Or I might have to dump you.” When his frown stayed, I sighed. “Come here.”

I approached him and cupped his face in my hands, pulling his mouth forward to meet mine. I kissed him softly, and after a few unresponsive moments, he softened and kissed me back.

“You still shouldn’t have brought them,” he murmured against my mouth.

“Yeah, and you’re still in the ‘danger of dumping’ zone.” I leant back and kissed his nose. “Go tell Belle or Dave they’re here. They might be a bit nicer.”

Finally, Theo’s smile appeared, and I felt my stomach glow with warmth in response. “Okay then.” He pulled my head forward to kiss my forehead, and then started off down the path. I turned and headed back to the car.