Chapter 24

Chapter 24

“Happiness is like chocolate; utterly indulgent and completely moreish.”

-Anon. (Hehehehe :P)

Addie’s P.O.V

The rest of the week passed in a blur of homework and classes. It didn’t hit me how fast the week had gone until I was doing homework in the kitchen on Thursday night.

I looked up from my work in astonishment. “OMG- it’s my birthday tomorrow!”

Mom looked at me in surprise. “I know, darling.”

“I’m going to be eighteen!”

Mom shook her head. “Had you honestly forgotten?”

“Completely.” I shook my head in surprise. “It still feels like ages away.”

“Well, not long now.” Mom turned back to her cooking. “IS there anything you’re hoping to get in particular?”

“Uh... well, there is something...” I shifted in my seat. “You know the old garage which we keep the cars next to?”

“The one full of junk?”

“That one. Well... d’you think we could turn it in to a photography studio?”

“Hmm.” Mom studiously scrubbed at the work top. “It’s a little late to be asking, isn’t it?”

I frowned at her turned back. “But you only just asked me. C’mon, Mom it would be great- I edit my pictures in there, instead of in my room, and when I do my art projects I wouldn’t get my room so messy... remember in Year 11 when I had to throw paint and capture it on camera? It would be way better if I had my own studio to do it in.”

Mom said nothing, keeping her back to me, but I could tell she was thinking. I sighed and turned back to my homework. I knew she’d gotten me something, but she hadn’t exactly asked me what I’d wanted...

                                                                                     ~~~~

Friday morning. I woke up to the sweet, warm smell of maple syrup and pancakes. I smiled, eager to get out of bed for the first time in days.

I decided to wear a dress, for a change, with a jacket and a pair of leggings. My nails were light green, matching the colour of the dress. As I went downstairs, Mom appeared with a smile and hugged me tightly.

“Addie! Happy birthday!” She looked at me outfit. “You look lovely, honey.”

I beamed. “Thanks. Can I have some pancakes now?”

Mom rolled her eyes. “Of course. I have some waffles as well, if you like.”

“Yes please!” I’d barely sat down to eat when my mobile rang. I scooped it up and left the room to answer it. “Hellooo?”

“Hi Addie!” Theo said happily.

“Happy birthday!” Someone- probably Ruby-May yelled down the phone. “Luna and I have your present all sorted, OMG you’re gonna love-”

“Go away, Rubes, I’m trying to talk to her,” Theo said indignantly.

“Aww, but Thee-”

“Hey cuz!” Derek’s voice joined the other two. “Happy birthday!”

“Thanks, Derek,” I said, trying not to laugh.

“Guys! Please- five minutes?” Theo said exasperatedly.