Chapter 23

Chapter 23

“Everyone has someone in their life that keeps them looking forward to another day.”

-Unknown

Addie’s P.O.V

“Addie!” There was a sharp rapping on my door. “Time to get up, sweetheart! First day of school!”

I raised my head from the pillow with a groan, my stomach sinking. No matter how much I loved seeing my friends, that horrible, first-day-of-school feeling was like sipping a bitter drink.

I heard Mom laugh softly. “I’ll make you a coffee. You better be downstairs in ten minutes or I’ll come and drag you out of bed.”

I sighed and pushed the covers off me, hating how the cool September air tempted me back in to the cosy warmth. I tugged on a pair of purple jeans and a simple silver top before grabbing my camera and yanking a brush briefly through my hair as I hurried downstairs.

Mom had only just put the coffee machine on. She looked at me in surprise. “That was quick.”

“Theo’s coming to pick me up,” I told her, pulling a bagel out of the bread bin and swiftly cutting it in half. “Can’t be late.”

“Doesn’t he have lots of brothers and sisters?”

“Yeah, but they have a nine-seater,” I said with a shrug, pulling maple syrup out of the cupboard.

“Ah.” The coffee machine made a whirring noise. “Actually, Addie, I was thinking you should maybe pick up Derek, seeing as it’s his first day and all.”

I bit the inside of my cheek, determined not to laugh. “Don’t worry, Mom, we’ve arranged to pick him up already.”

“Really?” Mom sounded pleased. “Well, that’s good, then. Saves on Petrol as well, I suppose.”

My bagel popped up, toasted a lovely golden brown. I brushed it with butter and drizzled a squirt of golden maple syrup on it before taking a large bite.

“Yum. I feel like I haven’t had breakfast in ages.” I nodded at the coffee machine. “Is it done yet?”

“Nearly. How about you go grab your school bag before it’s done?”

“Sure.” I headed upstairs. Jesse was in my room, standing on my bed, looking surprised that I wasn’t still in it. I guess usually I wasn’t up until later. I laughed at the puzzled way he cocked his head at me.

“Yeah, no more jumping on me to wake me up,” I grinned, stroking his silky ruff. “Now get off there before you get it covered in dog hair. Jesse obediently bounded off, and I began rifling through my selection of nail varnish. I eventually decided on a pale lavender colour, and after glossing up my finger nails and adding a touch of make up, I grabbed my bag and checked my phone for messages.

There was one from Ruby-May. Hey Ade, sorry if we’re a bit late- Theo’s on the drag, and we’ll have to swoop by to pick up Adolpha on the way, too! See you in a bit. R-M Xx

When I noticed Adolpha’s name, I felt a funny jolt in my stomach, like I’d swallowed an ice cube whole. I’d completely forgotten Adolpha was joining our school. I wondered whether she’d join our clique. I couldn’t imagine perfect, golden Adolpha in our little mismatched gang.

I went downstairs, where Mom was stirring a cup of rich brown coffee. She passed the cup to me, and after adding generous helpings of cream and sugar, I downed the bitter liquid nearly in one. The burst of adrenaline hit my veins like a shot of sunlight.