Chapter 27

Chapter 27

“I don’t hate people, I just feel better when they’re not around.”
- Charlea Bukowaki (don’t ask how I found this quote, but it’s hilarious! :D)

Addie’s P.O.V

Ruby-May came over on Sunday, apparently to help me with my homework, but mostly just so she could bring round all my presents from Friday (most of which she’d already opened). As a result, I didn’t get most of my homework done, so on Monday, I dragged Theo into the library and copied up his Geography prep. Or, when I say copied up, he just filled the answers in for me himself. I nattered on to him as he did, and somehow, he seemed to be able to listen and write at the same time.

“So Mom has another business trip next week, and she’s gonna be away for, like, ten days or something.” I propped my feet up on the chair opposite me. “And she’s only been back for practically a week.”

“You can always come and stay with us.” Theo brushed his hair out his eyes and continued to fill in the answers.

“Yeah, but my Mom thinks I spend too much time with you.” I scowled at the bookshelf. “What’s her problem?

“I think that’s normal,” Theo informed me.

“Well, it’s annoying.” I rested my head against his shoulder and coiled my fingers round his arm. “I don’t know if she’ll let me out tonight.”

“You mean for the hunt?”

“Yeah.” Just then, Adolpha appeared in front of us and slid into the seat opposite Theo. Instinctively, my grip on Theo’s arm tightened.

“Your Mom’s not letting you on the hunt?” she asked, frowning. How long had she been listening?

“I’ll be able to make it,” I said lightly. “I’ll just make up an excuse.” I gave her a false smile. “Don’t worry about me.”

Adolpha didn’t notice my fake smile. She returned it with an entirely warm one of her own. “Good.” She peered over at the books Theo was leaning over. “Whatcha doing?”

“Addie’s homework,” he told her, scribbling something down on the sheet. Adolpha laughed.

“Hey, I had a busy weekend,” I said defensively.

“Adolpha, can you go tell Mr Shores that we might be a bit late?” Theo asked, glancing up from my book.

“Sure.” Adolpha smoothly got to her feet. “See you guys later.” She smiled warmly, and then disappeared in a cloud of perfect golden hair.

I relaxed slightly when she’d gone, returning my head to Theo’s shoulder again. “You nearly done?”

Theo suddenly pushed the books away from him and fixed me with a look. “Addie.”