Chapter 44

Chapter 44

“Forgive me I’m trying to find
My calling, I’m calling at night,
I don’t mean to be a bother, but
Have you seen this girl?
She’s been running through my dreams,
And it's driving me crazy, it seems.
I’m gonna ask her to marry me.”
-All Time Low, Remembering Sunday

Theo’s P.O.V

I jolted awake from my shared dream with Addie, feeling almost at peace, for once. She was alive and well – sort of – and she knew I was coming for her. Being able to touch her would’ve made me feel even better, but at least getting to see her, hear her voice, was something.

I hadn’t managed to tell her about my wolf. I couldn’t. I didn’t want her worrying herself to death, and knowing Ade, she’d probably feel dead guilty about it too, even if it wasn’t her fault. By the sound of it, she couldn’t change either, but I knew from Dave that wolfs bane kind of had the same effect as moonstone; she’d be fine, as long as I found her soon.

But I couldn’t let her know about my wolf, and anyway, I needed to contact the pack to tell them about what Tobias’ threats to Maddy and Adolpha. The next morning, after a long, uncomfortable night under the stars, I dawned earlier than I had in years and started looking for a payphone. I was still stiff and uncomfortable from jogging non-stop the day before, but the thought of Addie spurred me on.

After about an hour, I found an old-fashioned red telephone box. I started towards it quickly, digging in my pockets for change. My heart was in my mouth; being able to talk to my family again would be amazing, but it would be painful, too, and I knew they would persuade me to come home.

I slotted in the change and punched in the number, waiting by the receiver as it buzzed endlessly. I almost couldn’t believe it when it hit voicemail.

“Hi, you’ve reached the Moonstone household. I’m afraid we’re out right now, but please leave a message and we’ll call you back as soon as we can.”

Belle’s cheerful voice was suddenly cut off as I heard Maddy scream in the background “Alex, leave me alone!” There was a light scuffle, and then Belle’s breathless voice returned. “Sorry about that. Anyway, thanks for calling, and please don’t forget to leave a message!”

The beep sounded, but for a moment I couldn’t talk. Hearing the familiar sounds of home was so achingly heart-warming that it was almost as good as talking to them; at least this way they couldn’t beg me to come home and make me feel bad. Then I recovered my wits and cleared my throat.

“Hi, guys... it’s me.” I tightened my hand on the receiver, wishing I’d planned out what I was going to say. “Sorry I left, but I kind of, y’know, had to. I’m looking for Addie. I haven’t found her yet, but I shared a mate dream with her, and she’s okay, but she can’t change either. I can’t say much, cos I only have two minutes to talk...” I glanced anxiously at the time limit. “But basically, what happened isn’t completely Adolpha’s fault, and because she told us that Ade had been kidnapped, Tobias is going to come after her, so you need to keep her safe. And Maddy, too – Addie said Tobias is using Maddy to blackmail her, so you need to keep an eye on her in case he tries something.”

The phone gave a warning beep, and I hurried on. “Anyway, I’ll be back soon. Addie says she misses you guys. Love you all.” I slammed the receiver back in place before I did something stupid like choke up.

Addie’s P.O.V

“Get up.”

My shoulder was shaken roughly, and I stirred. Caleb had his blank, emotionless steel soldier mask on, his eyes hard and cold. He dragged me upright and pulled me out the van before I was even awake.