Chapter 53

Chapter 53

“Cos when I’m with him, I am,

Thinking of you,

Thinking of you,

What you would do if,

You were the one who was,

Spending the night,

Oh I wish that I was looking into your

Eyes.”

Katy Perry, Thinking Of You

Theo’s P.O.V

The next morning, I woke later than usual, in a panic – how much time had I wasted sleeping? Why wasn’t I out searching for Addie? And what the hell was I doing sleeping in an actual bed? – and then I remembered I had stayed the night in someone’s house. Instead of relaxing, I felt even more panicky; I had slept later than I usually did, and by now, Addie could be even further away.

In our mate dream last night, Addie had told me she still had no idea where she was – but she also mentioned she was constantly freezing. It made me wonder if perhaps she was somewhere cold – maybe Russia. In which case, I was heading in the complete wrong direction, and I needed to get moving – fast.

I scrambled out the bed, grabbed my bag and rushed downstairs, planning to leave immediately – but then I realised I should probably thank Pierre and his wife for being so kind.

I stuck my head round the kitchen door, and Pierre’s wife noticed me. She smiled widely.

“Theo! Did you sleep vell?”

“Yeah, I did thanks. Listen, thanks so much for everything, but I have to go.”

The woman looked surprised, and slightly disappointed. “Go? So soon?”

I nodded. “Yeah, I need to get going. But thanks for-”

Pierre’s wife held up a hand. “You thank too much,” she seriously. “We do this for you because we vant to – not because we ‘ave to.” She smiled again. “I vill give you more food and money, oui? To help you?”

I shook my head quickly. “You’ve already done enough-”

But she easily wrestled the bag off me – for a small woman, she was pretty strong – and headed for the cupboard. “You ‘elp yourself to petit dejeuner.”

I gave up on arguing, since I did kinda need food and money, and sat down at the table. I tried not to be greedy, but I was starving, and couldn’t seem to stop myself.

The woman chuckled at the sight of me demolishing a croissant like a hungry wolf. “You are too thin, anyway.”

Eventually, I got up to go, and she let me have my bag back. “I know you asked me not to thank you, but you really have no idea how much you’ve helped me.”

The woman beamed. “I am tres heureuse, Theo.” She patted my shoulder. “You be safe now.”

“I will. And say thanks to Pierre, too!” I called out, then slipped out the house and shut the door.

With steady purpose, I began to run in the opposite direction, so fuelled with energy from good food and a decent night’s sleep that by the time I’d stopped for a lunch break, I was nearly out of the country. Only three more to go after that... and then the whole of giant Russia to search. If Addie was still there. If she was even there in the first place.

But I was her mate, and it was my instinct to be able to guess where she was. And Russia sounded pretty good to me. Since thankfully my face wasn’t pasted all over the news in Belgium, I could afford some transport too, without being recognised.