Chapter 32

“When the world says ‘Give up,’
Hope whispers, ‘Try it one more time’.”
-Unknown

Chapter 32 (A/N: Sorry if the spacing is weird :) Spaz computer alert!A/N)

Addie’s P.O.V

“You’re absolutely crazy,” Luna informed me.

“I second that,” Ruby-May added.

I scowled at them. “Guys. You’re supposed to be supportive here.”

“Yeah, and we’re also supposed to give help and advice when needed,” Ruby-May told me. “And, Addie? You need help.”

It was Wednesday morning, and we were walking slowly up to school from the parking lot. Students rushed past us, ignoring our little group.

I blew out a sigh. “Guys, it’s really not that bad-”

“Addie, the guy tried to beat up your boyfriend. That sounds pretty bad to me.” Luna’s face was set, the cool October breeze causing her blonde hair to flutter gently.

“It wasn’t like that, Okay? Vampyres and werewolves are kinda made to hate each other. So maybe I’m mad at him for hurting Theo, but I still want to talk to him.”

Ruby-May shook her head. “Definitely crazy.”

“Who’s crazy?” Derek appeared beside us and kissed Ruby-May’s cheek.

“Addie. For wanting to see that creep Caleb.”

“He’s not a creep. And he won’t hurt me, I know he won’t. I just want to talk to him.”

“You know Theo won’t like it,” Derek warned me. “And neither will anyone else.”

“No one else knows, apart from the five of us.”

Somehow, we’d managed to keep the whole Caleb and Theo incident quiet, and no one else knew anything about it. Theo’s injuries had cleared up by Monday morning, and two days later, we’d still managed to keep it under the rug. How, I’m not sure.

“Look, guys, it’s nice that you care about me, but there’s no need. I’ll handle Theo.”

“That doesn’t sound good.”

The four of us whirled around in surprise. Theo had got away from his group of friends (behind him, Bobby and Gemma were bickering, as usual) and was standing behind us. His gaze was fixed on mine.

“Let me guess,” he said. “I’m not going to like this.”

“Addie wants to talk to Caleb,” Derek piped up.

I groaned internally. Thanks, Derek. Thanks a bunch. “Um... yeah, kind of.”

Theo’s gaze was sad. “You’re crazy.”

“That’s what I said,” Luna agreed.

I let out an exasperated sigh. “Guys. It’ll be for like, five minutes, okay? And it’s not like I’m meeting him at his house; we’ll be in my back garden, practically. If anything happens, which I’m a thousand percent sure it won’t, you guys can pull your superhero act or whatever.”

“Fine,” Theo said. I gaped at him. I hadn’t been expecting that.

“You’re serious?”

Theo quirked a smile. “Just agree, before I change my mind.”

I smiled and came to stand next to him, wrapping an arm around him. “Thanks, Thee.”