Chapter 20

Chapter 20

Keep your feet on the ground,

While your head’s in the clouds.

-Paramore, Brick by boring brick

Quick note: Open the external link ---> Go on, I dare you ;) Xx

Addie's P.O.V

 “Addie,” Mom called, as I half-heartedly began doodling on a sheet of paper, “whose is this...?”

I glanced up. She was holding up a grey hoodie with a quizzical expression on her face.

“Oh, that’s Theo’s,” I told her carelessly, turning back to my drawing. “He must’ve left it here the other day. Well, he’ll be here in half an hour so I’ll give it back to him then.”

“Why did I find it in your bedroom?” Mom asked, her tone slightly darker. I bit back a sigh of irritation.

“Where else are we supposed to hang out, Mom? The garage?

“Alright, alright...” Mom sighed, and placed the hoodie neatly on the table. “That’s a nice drawing, sweetheart.”

It wasn’t really; the tree I was drawing looked slightly wonky. Still, the encouragement was nice. “Thanks.”

The door bell rang. Mom looked surprised. “Is he here all ready?”

“I guess he is.” I tried to mask my surprise. I’d even warned Mom that he’d probably be late. Jesse was already at the door. I nudged him out the way gently.

“Hi,” Theo grinned as I opened the door. “I’m early, see?”

“I noticed,” I said with a smile. “For, like, the first time ever.”

He pulled a face. “C’mon, it’s a start.”

 I held open the door, and as he came in, ruffling Jesse’s head, Mom suddenly came rushing towards him.

“You must be Theo!” She squealed, in that really embarrassing happy-aunty way. “So lovely to meet you! I’m Addie’s Mom, but you can call me Vivian... come on in, Addie’s told me so much about you...”

“Uh, nice to meet you too.” Usually, Theo was the expert on smooth talking, but I could tell Mom had surprised him. My insides squirmed uncomfortably.

“Mom, stop talking so high-pitched,” I mumbled, feeling my cheeks go pink as I glanced at the floor. I could practically feel Theo’s grin at my awkwardness.

“My voice is not high pitched,” Mom protested indignantly. She turned back to Theo with her beaming smile. “Come into the kitchen! I’ve just made lunch.” She bustled away.

“Sorry,” I whispered, stepping closer to Theo as she disappeared. “She gets really hyper when she meets new people...”

“Must be where Jesse gets it from.”

I snorted with laughter. “Shut up! My Mom is not like my dog.”

“Well, they do always say pets are like their owners...”

“Shut up.” I shook my head, then grabbed his hand and pulled him into the kitchen. Mom had already set the table. I have no idea how she moved that fast.

“You’re not a vegetarian, are you?” She asked Theo, still smiling. “I’m sorry, I should’ve checked...”

“It’s fine,” Theo said, his usually confidence back. “I’m not a vegetarian.”  He nodded at the food. “This looks great.”