Chapter 43

Can I say something? I've been dying to say it (with valid reason) for years :)

I'M ALIVE!!!!

So, yeah... glad I got that out the way... 

Chapter 43

“I think we dream so we don't have to be apart so long. If we're in each other's dreams, we can be together all the time.”

-Bill Watterson, Calvin and Hobbes

Theo’s P.O.V

How long had I been running for? Days, it felt like. Probably only hours. I glanced at my wrist; only to find I’d forgotten my watch. Oh, you bloody idiot, Theo. The watch was moonstone, too. It could’ve helped preserve my wolf for a little while longer. I’d just shortened my death sentence. Nice one.

That kept happening, too – the further I went, the more I realised I’d forgotten really vital things. A map, to tell me where I was going, and a compass. A camping stove, and any food that could be cooked on it. Tinned food. Spare jumpers and trainers – though up until last night, I’d assumed I’d be taking the car and wouldn’t need much to keep me warm. Medical stuff – werewolves healed fast, but if my wolf didn’t recover in the next few days, my immunity system would start to fail.

When my legs finally gave out, the sun was just starting to lower in the sky, and I guessed it was about three thirty – I’d been jogging almost non-stop for over six hours. I estimated that I’d probably come about 130 miles. Should’ve brought a pedometer. The irritating thing was, if I didn’t have to conserve my strength, I could’ve run flat out and practically be there by now.

I was in some small town in the middle of nowhere, by the looks of it.  As I collapsed under a tree, I dug in my side pocket for my phone, preparing myself for a long list of missed calls or messages, probably from Ruby-May instead of Dave and Belle, yet, but instead found myself staring at a blank screen. Crap. My phone was dead. I hadn’t charged it, and obviously I hadn’t brought a charger – where would I use it?

Great. Now I had no way to contact anyone. I guess it meant they couldn’t track me or try and bribe me home, but Belle was bound to over react and think I was lying dead in a ditch somewhere.

With a groan, I tipped my head back against the tree... and when I jerked up again, I realised it was evening. Crap. How much time had I wasted? I couldn’t afford to sleep.

Struggling painfully to my feet, I realised my phone wasn’t next to me anymore. It wasn’t in my pockets, and it wasn’t in my bag, either. Dawning realisation crashed over me and I groaned; well, if you fall asleep under a tree with your phone just lying next to you, of course it’s gonna get nicked, isn’t it?

I started walking again, shouldering my back pack, but I was stiff from for so long and could only manage a limp walk. With a sudden flash of inspiration, I pulled the picture I had on Addie out my side pocket and limped up to a nearby woman who was strolling past, pushing a baby carriage.

“Excuse me, miss,” I said, holding up the picture of Addie. “Have you seen this girl?”

The lady looked startled, but she squinted at the photo. “Actually, yes... I think I have seen her before.”

My heart leapt in excitement. Had I really got lucky first time? “You have? Where?”

“That’s the girl on TV who’s gone missing!” the lady exclaimed. My chest deflated in disappointment.

“Yeah – I know that,” I said patiently. “But you haven’t seen her anywhere around here?”

“No. Why?” She looked interested. “Did the police say she was around here?”