Chapter 14

Chapter 14

“Good friends are like stars- you don’t always see them, but you know they’re always there.”

-Old Saying

Addie’s P.O.V

“Let me get this straight,” Luna said down the phone, “these Vampyres were hanging round your house?”

I frowned defensively, even though she couldn’t see me. “They just wanted to talk to Dave.”

“I know, you said that, but the fact that they hung around is just a little bit creepy.”

“Not really,” I said with a shrug, as I loaded clothes into the washing machine. “Dave was talking to them.”

“I still think it’s weird. First they break in, and then they hang around outside your house. It’s like they want something from you.”

I sighed. “Oh, so now you’re saying that they’re paedophiles?”

“No! God, Ade, you’re so dirty-minded,” Luna laughed. “I just don’t get why you trust them.”

“You and Theo both think I trusted them too quickly.”

“Well, then, maybe we’re right. I mean, Theo’s been a werewolf for nearly his whole life, and he’s Beta. He knows his stuff.”

“Yeah, but he only found out about Vampyres last year!” I exclaimed. “Werewolves aren’t supposed to know about Vampyres until they’re eighteen, for some weird protection reason. Unless they discover them earlier, obviously.”

“I guess, but they’re still Vampyres. You can’t trust them.”

“They seem nice, though, Lu. Different to John and Meido.”

“Different in a good way, I hope?”

“Yeah.” I glanced outside the window with a sigh. “Though to be fair, Meido and Graceling weren’t that bad in the end...”

“Huh.” Luna had a thing against Vampyres. Werewolves, she could handle. Vampyres were a big no-no.

“Look, Dave trusts them. He’s letting them hunt here. They’re not rogue, and they’re perfectly friendly. You just need to be more trusting.”

“Or maybe you need to be less trusting,” Luna muttered, clearly to herself, but I picked it up anyway. Then she spoke aloud again. “Okay, then. Whatever you say. Well, gotta go. Have to make sure Mom doesn’t smash all the plates in the house.”

My brow furrowed. “Is she okay about your dad?”

I heard the soft rustle as Luna shrugged. “She’s... coping. I think.”

I sighed. “Oh, Lu.”

“Hey, don’t feel sorry for me. I’ll be okay.” She started to sing the song by Mcfly. A sure sign that she probably wasn’t perfectly okay.

“I’ll call you back later, ‘kay?”

“’Kay. See you.” She hung up. I put down the phone, and stared gloomily out the window. Poor Luna. Her Mom and Dad had been on rocky ground for ages, but I knew it still shocked her that they had split up. Maybe I should go round...

I blinked. My mind had been in the clouds, so I hadn’t noticed the shadowy shape until it moved. My eyes zoomed into the woods, where a dark shape was nestled into the clusters of trees. Leafy tendrils of branches loomed over the shape. My eyes roamed over the outline; a wolf.

A pair of large brown eyes met mine, and I quickly twisted my head, pretending I couldn’t see it. It continued to watch me with dark brown eyes that were unmistakably intelligent and human. Definitely a werewolf.