Chapter 62

Chapter 62

“What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger,

What doesn’t kill you makes a fighter.”

-Lines from Kelly Clarkson’s Stronger

Luna’s P.O.V

(A/N Some of you have been wondering why I’ve been so mean to Luna – I promise, I have nothing against her :P I actually love her, she’s one of my favourite characters – but she’s always been pretty weak. Not personality wise, or physically, but mentally it doesn’t take a lot to crush her (she’s your typical blonde character). I put her through all those horrible ‘trials’ to make her stronger; strong enough to cope with werewolves :) See, not so mean after all! ;) A/N)

Derek and Ruby-May agreed to stop off at mine before heading back to the pack house, in order for me to take a super quick shower and change out of my wet, salty clothes. The hot water rinsed the salt out my hair and cleared my thoughts for the first time in ages. For once, they weren’t consumed with anguish and pain, and I could think clearly.

Ruby-May jumped up as soon as I came back in the kitchen. She and Derek had changed clothes too, as they had a backpack full of spare clothes each from their trip.

You done?” She asked impatiently. “ Awesome! Let’s go!” She hopped eagerly from foot to foot.

“What took you guys so long to come back, anyway?” I asked, as we headed for my car. “Marcus told Adolpha that you’d found him ages ago.”

“Traffic was terrible,” Derek joked, but Ruby-May shook her head.

“Derek was an idiot and jumped in front of a car. On the motorway,” she added, shooting him a look that was half exasperated, half loving. “He broke his leg so we had to wait a day for him to get better.”

“Wow. Only a day? Man, I’d love to be a werewolf.” I slid into the driver’s seat, and Ruby-may sat in the passenger seat next to me. Derek went in the back, but leaned forward so he could join in the conversation. “You’re okay now, right?”

“Yeah, sure.” He grinned. “It’s awesome being a werewolf.”

As soon as I’d pulled up outside the pack house, Ruby-May and Derek were out the car in a flash. I hurried after them as they began knocking on the door.

Belle opened it, and her face lit up. With a happy cry, she grabbed them both in a hug, and called out for Dave as she dragged them inside. She saw me and hastily beckoned me in too.

“Why the hell did you take so long?” she squealed at the two of them, as Dave came hurrying out his office. “Did you know we thought you could be dead?  We told the school you’d gone to visit some sick aunt to stop the police calling-”

Both of them were laughing as Dave came over to hug them, and Alice emerged from the library to found out what all the noise was about.

Feeling like I was intruding on a family reunion, I stood awkwardly by the kitchen door as the members of the pack rushed to see Ruby-May and Derek. Maddy clung to her older sister like a limpet and refused to let go of her for nearly half an hour.

Alex came down to see what all the commotion was about too, and after he’d greeted them and hugged them both, he said eagerly, “There’s someone I want you to meet,” and promptly rushed upstairs.

“What’s that all about?” Ruby-May asked.

“Alex found his mate!” Maddy squealed, still clinging to her sister like a monkey.