Chapter 48

Happy Christmas everyone!!! :D Hope you all have an amazing day!!!

Chapter 48

Oh shit my computer thinks it’s Spanish o.O What do I do???

Oh wait, now it’s realised it’s English.

Poor, nationality-confused computer :/.  Annnyway...

 “Cos all of the stars,

Have faded away,

Just try not to worry,

You’ll see them some day,

Take what you need,

And be on your way,

And stop crying your heart out.”

-Leona Lewis/Oasis, Stop Crying Your Heart Out

Luna’s P.O.V

Friday, after school. It had been the longest week in the world.

I dropped my bag on the kitchen floor, and almost collapsed in relief. Finally, finally, the weekend was here.

“Mom? I’m home!” I dug a slice of bread out the bread bin and shoved it in the toaster. Mom came into the room.

“Addie’s on TV again,” she said, her voice mildly surprised. This would’ve been a relatively normal thing to say, considering the circumstances, apart from the fact Addie had been on the news for the past week now.

“I know.” And then, just because I couldn’t help saying it, “Have the police got any leads?”

But Mom had already zoned out. She gazed out the window, a small, thoughtful frown creasing her brow. I wondered what she was thinking about.

“Hungry?” I asked.

“Mmm.”

These days, ‘Mmm’ could mean anything, but I took it for a yes, and jammed another slice of bread in the toaster, popping it down.

I went in the hallway, lugging my bag. It was a mess; shoes and coats and boxes overflowing with clutter were strewn about. Mom usually kept it clean, and freaked out if there was even one coat on the floor. It used to bug me like hell, but now I’d do anything for her to be like that again.

Despite my vow to get my homework done so I could have a stress-free weekend, the messy hallway was really bothering me, so I dropped my school bag and started scooping up the piles of stuff.

Ten minutes later, Mom came into the hallway holding two plates of toast, her expression mildly confused, like it usually was. It was like she’d forgotten something, but couldn’t remember if it was important enough to really try to recall.

“You made some toast.”

“Thanks.” I took one of the plates. It wasn’t buttered or cut, but I chewed it anyway.

“What’re you doing?”

“Cleaning the hall.” I looked around me. I’d made a start on the piles of stuff, sorting them into bags and cupboards, but I had a long way to go. “Want to help?”

Mom nodded, and bent down to pick up a bundle of shoes. I turned away so she couldn’t see how pleased I was that she was finally, finally doing something semi Mom-like.

Ruby-May called ten minutes later. I’d moved from the hallway to the living room, which was just as bad. There was a limp, tired look to the sofas, and the carpet needed cleaning. I was tugging out the hover as I held the phone to my ear.