Chapter 29

“Everyone wants happiness,

Nobody wants pain.

But you can’t have a rainbow

without a little rain.”

-Someone who clearly knows a lot about life ;)

Chapter 29

Addie’s P.O.V

On Saturday morning, I woke early, dressed quickly and rushed downstairs to shove some bread in the toaster. Jesse lifted his head blearily out of his dog bed, and his fluffy plume of a tail managed a half-hearted wag.

“Addie?” Mom came downstairs, probably woken up by my rushed morning routine. “You do realise it’s Saturday? No school?”

“I know.” I ran a brush through my hair, working out the thick tangles. “I just have to print off my art project.”

Mom blinked at me in surprise. “Isn’t that due in for next Wednesday?”

“Yeah, but it’ll take ages to print it out.” I was also planning on making a photo album out of the pictures I had stored on my camera. My mind was buzzing with inspiration.

“Well, okay.” Mom shrugged and started up the coffee maker. “Coffee?”

“Sure.” The toast popped out, and I buttered it hastily before cramming it into my mouth. Jesse, who was now fully up, whined hungrily and circled my legs. I ran a hand through his fur and reached for his dog bowl.

“What’s the rush?” Mom asked.

“I don’t know. I just feel like I’ve got loads of ideas, y’know?” I grinned at her as I swallowed a mouthful of toast. “I’ve probably had too much sugar.”

“Or maybe it’s the opposite of an artist’s block,” Mom guessed. She handed a mug of rich, swirling black coffee to me. “I have to start packing now.”

My elation drained away suddenly, and my shoulders slumped. “Oh yeah. You’re leaving me tomorrow.”

Mom’s face creased with guilt. “I’m sorry, honey. I’ll be back before you know it, I promise.” She took a sip of her own coffee, and then added a sprinkling of sugar. “Besides, James and Ava will be here to look after you.”

“Yeah, I know.” And I’d probably end up spending most of my time at the Moonstone house, anyway. “Can you grab Jesse’s dog food?”

Mom obliged as I took a sip of the wonderfully rich black coffee, and felt adrenaline hit my veins. “This is great.”

“Good.” Mom took Jesse’s dog bowl of me, and he gave a bark of excitement, bouncing up at her. “Calm down, Jesse...”

I headed outside and made my way to my art studio, where my camera perched on my desk, packed full of my art project pictures.

“Right,” I mumbled to myself, plugging it into the printer and starting it up. “Let’s go to work.”

~~~~

About an hour later, I had a collage page full of the pictures Ruby-May and I had taken yesterday. The pictures of different coloured sand glittering in the different coloured lights looked glossy and professional, and I felt a burst of pride at my work.

“That’s very good.”

I jumped at the voice, and whirled around. “Caleb! Oh my God, you nearly gave me a heart attack!”

Caleb chuckled softly. “Sorry. I didn’t mean to scare you.”

“Don’t worry about it... come on in.” I gestured for him to come in, and spotted Lilith hovering behind him. “Hi, Lilith!”