Chapter 63

Chapter 63

“Anyone can be passionate, but it takes real lovers to be silly.”

-Rose Franken

Theo’s P.O.V

The sight of Ruby-May and Luna gawking at me in the doorway was so comical that, despite being exhausted, soaking wet and starving hungry, I found myself grinning. “Hey, guys.”

They continued to stare at me for a split second longer – and then they both started shrieking and squeaking like excited chipmunks.

“You’re back!” Ruby-May flung herself at me, nearly knocking me off my feet. “Oh my God, you’re fucking back!

I laughed, feeling joy rise up inside of me. I shifted Addie in my grip so I could put one arm around my sister. “Miss me?”

“You are completely insane!” Luna hugged me too, the both of them still squeaking with happiness.

I was still grinning when I said, “Hey, think you guys could let me breathe for a second?”

Both of them shuffled back, eyes still huge, as I shifted Addie in my grip and stepped inside out of the sheeting rain. Everything about home rushed up to greet me; the familiar scents and sounds, they way not a bit of it had changed. It was like a welcome hot drink on a cold night – which actually sounded pretty perfect right now.

“Oh my God, Addie!” Ruby-May suddenly noticed her lying in my arms. “Jeez... is she okay?”

“She looks so thin,” Luna said in concern.

“We should probably lie her down. She’s freezing.” I shook water out my hair, accidently splattering them both. Neither seemed to notice.

“I’m getting Dave,” Ruby-May said eagerly, and rushed to the study. “Dave! Zach! Guys, Theo’s back!

“Come on.” Luna grinned at me. “Everyone’s gonna be so glad to see you!”

She led me into the living room, where Derek and Jared were watching some horror movie. They glanced up when I came in, and then stared, their mouths dropping open.

I laughed. “Good to see you guys too.”

“Theo!” They both leapt to their feet, and then when they noticed Addie, they stared again.

“Shit, is she okay?” Derek stared at his cousin with wide eyes.

“Yeah, just passed out.” Jared and Derek helped me lower her to the settee, while Luna stared at us like we were mad.

“What?” I said.

“Aren’t you guys gonna say hi properly?” she said indignantly, gesturing between all three of us.

Derek, Jared and I all looked at each other.

“Good to see you, bro.” Derek stuck out a hand, and we laughed as Luna huffed indignantly.

“Guys are so emotionally retarded.” She leaned round to give me another hug, despite the fact I was dirty and dripping water everywhere. “I’m so glad you’re back!”

I laughed, feeling the warmth of home surround me, and lifted her off her feet slightly when I hugged her back. “It’s good to be home.”

“Theo!” Dave came in, beaming, and as Luna stepped back, came forward to give me a back slap. “Good to see you, buddy.”

“Jesus, we all thought you were a goner,” Zach said cheerfully, but he was beaming hugely. His gaze turned to his daughter and he dropped to a crouch beside the sofa. “Addie?”