Chapter 60

A/N : I apologize in advance for how depressing/sad/grim this chapter is, and also how wimpy Luna is gonna seem. Don’t be too hard on her – how she feels is how thousands of other people going through a hard time feel – and please don’t hate me after :/ A/N

Chapter 60  :O

You could be my hero,

If only I could let go,

But his love is still in my,

Like a broken arrow.

-Pixie Lott, Broken Arrow

Luna’s P.O.V

The next morning, I found I had a text from an unknown number:

Nearly home! Will be back soon. Please tell Dave and Belle so they won’t worry. Love, R-M and D X

P.S. We did it baby! X

Despite the heaviness inside of me, I smiled. And then I read the rest of the test. Dave and Belle... shit. That meant a trip to the Moonstone pack house. That meant a lot of potential awkwardness between me and a certain someone...

I sighed and went for hasty shower. After I’d washed and dressed and had a quick bite to eat, I stared unwillingly out the window at my car. Could I just call, maybe? Hey Belle, Dave... yeah, just wanted to say Ruby-May and Derek texted from an unknown number to say they’ll be home soon, and when you see them could you tell them to call me for an urgent I-need-help-because-I-think-karma’s-out-to-get-me meeting?

Actually, that sounded like something I’d say normally, but even still.

I drove as slowly as I could to the Moonstone house. It was the first time I’d ever been so reluctant to go there, including the time I’d first found out they were werewolves.

I knocked on the door, braced myself... then breathed a small sigh of relief when it was Belle who opened it.

“Hi, sweetie.” She smiled warmly, but not before I saw the flash of disappointment dim her eyes. “Come on in.”

“Thanks. Sorry I didn’t call first. ” I slipped inside and headed to the kitchen.

“No problem. How’s your mother?” Belle followed me in and pulled out the kettle, filling it up with water. “Better?”

I remembered my excuse from yesterday. “Oh, um... they decided to keep her in another day. Just to make sure.”

Belle’s face creased in sympathy, and my insides burned with guilt. It seemed like everything I said lately was a lie.

“I’m sorry, honey. That must be hard.” She gestured to the kettle. “Tea?”

“Sure. Thanks.”

Maddy came into the kitchen, and smiled when she saw me. “Hi, Luna.”

“Hey, Madster.”

Maddy beamed. “Alex has a girlfriend.” She giggled like she’d said something incredibly daring.

“Don’t tease him, sweetie,” Belle scolded lightly, but she was still smiling. “Did you meet, Brooklyn, Luna? She really is lovely – I’m so happy for Alex...”

I forced a smile on my face despite the fact it felt like my stomach had burst into flames, and the fire was licking at my heart. “That’s nice.”

Belle was still smiling happily. “Are you staying for lunch?”

“No, no... I actually came to tell you and Dave something.” I hesitated. “I got a text from Ruby-May and Derek this morning.”

Belle dropped a teacup. She managed to scoop it up before it crashed to the floor, but when she turned to me, her eyes were wide with surprise. “You did? But – they didn’t take their phones!”