Chapter 69

A/N: So I have a feeling some people are really not gonna like this ending... but hey, you can’t please everyone :) I hope at least some of you enjoy it anyway Xxxx A/N

Chapter 69

You can live your life fast,

Or you can just take it slow.

Keep hold of the happiness,

And let the pain go.

-Anon.

Theo’s P.O.V

I was dog tired. It felt like I’d only sat down in the living room armchair and shut my eyes for a few seconds before I felt someone flick my forehead to wake me up. When I opened my eyes, the curtains had been pulled shut, and it was dark outside.

 Derek grinned at me. I noticed a pink faded scar slicing across the top of his eyebrow, clearly recent; he must’ve got it during the fight.

I struggled to sit up, but my bones felt like cement. “What’s going on?”

“Calm it, bro. Everything’s fine.” Derek nodded toward the hall way. “We’re trying to get all the humans inside before it gets dark.”

It already was dark, but I obligingly struggled to my feet and headed to the hallway. It was packed with humans, all still dead to the world. Belle, Addie and Ruby-May were holding little vials of dark liquid and dripping the stuff into their mouths. They were working quickly and efficiently.

“What’s that?” I asked Ruby-May, as she pulled down the chin of a middle-aged woman, dripped in some of the liquid, and smartly snapped it shut again.

“It’ll make them forget about Tobias,” Ruby-May said, moving swiftly on to a younger-looking man. “Hopefully most of their memories about what Tobias made them do will be gone anyway. That potion stuff he gave them pretty much made them brainless zombies for a few hours.”

James came in with two humans slung over either shoulder. He dropped them on the floor outside the door like bags of flour.

“James,” Ava scolded, pulled them away from the doormat. “Don’t throw them. You’ll hurt them.”

As James protested that he wasn’t throwing them, I slipped outside. My sharp eyes picked out Dave, Jared and Zach in the dark, dragging the passed-out humans out of the woods. Zach, who had seemed so severely injured just hours before, now seemed fit and healthy compared to Jared, who was struggling without his hand.

“How am I gonna be able to do anything?” Jared was grumbling, as he picked a human up under the arm with one hand, while his stump of a wrist rested in a hastily made sling. “I want be able to play any sport. I won’t be able to drive. Hell, how am I supposed to tie my shoelaces? Or hunt?”

“You can still write.” Zach grunted as he lifted a body over his shoulder in a fireman’s lift. Jared grumbled at that sarcastically. “And you’ll be able to hunt, once you’ve got used to it.”

“Maybe you could get another one?” Derek suggested, following me outside.

“Oh yeah? D’you happen to know any shops that sell hands?”

“The second hand shop?” I suggested, and Derek laughed. Jared looked pissed off, and despite his quick werewolf healing, it was clearly still hurting, so I decided to lay off him. I headed over to Dave to help him move some of the humans.

“We won’t be able to get them all inside, y’know,” I told him. “There’re hundreds of them.”

“I know.” Dave stood up to run a hand through his hair. Even in the dark, I could tell he was exhausted. “They should all start waking up soon. And then they can all go home.”