57. Code emu

Matty

"Milo! No more chilli!" I informed him, laughing at max still fussing over Eric
"Didn't realise, it's one of her favourites, she likes spicy food! just making sure she maintains the eating while she's having this blip. He does know she's having one of those episodes again doesn't he? Like a full on one? She won't leave the damn house, not even to go in the garden!" Milo looked worriedly into the other room
"Think he does but he's in a baby bubble, sweet Jesus." I held up the soiled onesie, milo pulling his shirt over his nose
"Toss it out Matty" Sandra laughed as I stood looking between it and the washing machine "that's not coming out. Bless him."

"Are you sure that's normal mum? Maybe I should call the doctor?" Max walked Eric in, in search of a pacifier.
"In the steriliser mate, did a fresh batch this morning." I pointed to the counter
"Uncle Matty is our hero eh son, there you go. Shush. I know that wasn't nice was it. Your itty bitty butt must have been on fire. How did all that come out of something so small!"
"I'd be more concerned about that weird noise he makes max" jackie quipped
"It's his cry, he doesn't have a proper cry he just squeaks, he's our little squeaker aren't you little man, I know naughty uncle milo."
"Sorry, I'll make it milder next time."
"Max, don't keep giving him that thing" Jackie snatched the pacifier from Eric's mouth making him squeak again
"Mum! Be careful!" Max complained fetching a fresh one "he likes the big blue ones. He doesn't have them all the time. Does he Matty?"
"Nah mate, first time he's had it today. Right I'm off. Anything else we need."
"I don't think so." Max shook his head smiling contently at Eric.

"I made an appointment for you max, on Monday. I can pick you up if you like, make sure you're on time. Give me your phone I'll put a reminder in for you."
"What for?"
"For your ADHD, get you back on the right meds. Like we agreed. Look at you! You're jerking him with your tics and you can't stand still. You're all over the place, you're a dad now, you need to put your son first."
"Eric doesn't like it if you stand still" Jem walked in casually, taking Eric. "I think he's hungry, excuse me" she walked out again rolling her eyes at me making me smirk and roll them back at her. She was starting to see Jackie's other side, she'd had a glimpse when Max was in a coma but I could tell she was making the links finally between max's problems and his mother.

"So everything's ready for this weekend, whole families coming to meet him max. They're excited. Your dad wants to do a barbecue but I keep telling him the smokes no good for little Eric. I'll do a buffet. I'll make a pavlova, Jemima likes those."
"Mum.....I'm sorry but I'm not sure we're coming for the weekend. I only said maybe. You should have checked. She's not ready and neither is he. I don't want him passed round a bunch of people. Beside Emmy hasn't met the extended family yet. Not all of them, it'll be too overwhelming all in one go."
"He's your son too max! We're the only family he's got! She doesn't have to come, you can bring him on your own! He's a weaver!"
I knew I wouldn't be able to keep me cool, so I slammed the kitchen cupboard shut harshly, grabbing my car keys and going to wait for Ed and Sandra in the car.

"Well done for walking away, I'm proud of you." Sandra got in next to me five minutes later
"She's seriously pushing her luck mum. It's bad enough with max, can't do much about that until he sees what we do and stands up to her more but she's not coming after Jem and me. No way. Not standing for it. I mean what was that! Only family! What am I invisible! Bitch. Take Eric without Jem, I mean has she not been paying attention at all! He's a weaver, I have half a mind to tell her to call him miller."
"She still wants him to move back home Matty. She's just trying to manipulate him like she always does. Thing is I don't think she realises who she's dealing with when it comes to Em. She's starting to see it more. Jackie will regret it if she goes too far with her. I think she thinks she's a push over. She's not seen a full blown meltdown has she." Ed chimed in from the back seat
"She just needs to get off his back. He's doing bloody well if you ask me. He dotes on that boy. His tics are under control unless she's on the phone badgering him or popping round unannounced. He doesn't hold him if the big ones are going off. That's why he bought the fancy swing itself chair, he told me last night! Jem's doing so well, to an outsider like Jackie it might not look like it but she is doing well! I expected her to completely retreat inwards, the warning signs are there but so far....."