55. Dont let him hurt my matty

Matty

It had been a fairly successful day celebrating the arrival of the new addition to the family. Max got excited opening gifts and everyone adored little Eric. Jem was reluctant to let him out of her sight for second, she did agree to let everyone have a quick cuddle and photo, after max had supervised hand scrubbing to his satisfaction. Jem became anxious after a while of not having him in her arms so max confiscated his son back from his mum, carrying him like he was a bomb that would go off at any second.

"You want your mum don't you little man, here you go Emmy, he's safe baby I promise" max kissed her head.
"A little help boys" Sandra struggled out to the garden with a delivery of the biggest bunch of flowers I'd ever seen in my life.
"These must be for Emmy" max helped Sandra searching for the card "got it, you want me to" he pointed and opened it, his expression changing from happy to disappointed "to Jemima and max, sending you much love and happiness with your new arrival, we can't wait to meet little Eric in person. love william, peter, Tammy and Gio."
"That was nice of them sweetie."

"Peter so made him add their names to this." Jem laughed looking over the flowers "peter would not know my favourites. He says flowers look all the same to him."
"There's a gift basket too darling. Looks hand packed. "Let's see. 'Welcome to the world master Eric Arthur Weaver, all our love the Higgs family. They were very fond of you darling."
"Well pollen isn't good for Eric" Jackie snatched the flowers stomping off with them. I shook my head subtly at the beautiful flowers being man handled and dragged away, several being bashed off.

"Master weaver" max laughed it off "you don't look like a master weaver, sounds weird. We can look through it later, not sure we got a flower vase, might have to put them in several different containers. We got a bucket but they've got the flowers from management in" max joked
"Should have known, no one else knows, no ones going to buy you flowers for your birthday are they" jem laughed
"No management sent a crate of beer, not sure when I'm supposed to drink that lot, I'm on duty, aren't I little man."
Jem nodded kissing Eric's cheek "you smell nice" she whispered at him, Max's lips turning into a giddy smile, I gave him a wink, they'd had a good day so far, a few blips but overall a good day.
"I'll get it. It better not be more flowers." Jem joked "we need to fix the security gate Matty"
"Yeah I know, I keep forgetting to call them back. I will do Jem."

"I don't know what her favourite flowers are. I should know shouldn't I" max scratched his head
"You've bought her flowers once. You're not a flower buying kind of guy max. More ice cream tubs."
"That's true. I know her favourite ice cream flavours" max nodded smugly "she's doing better isn't she. The nurse came this morning" he was informing his mother "she said because he's small he needs small feeds more often, which is exhausting but she seems to be doing alright. Still painful"
"When he gets used to it and bigger it should be easier Max, like you say she's doing good, so are you. How many times were you up last night." Sandra giggled at him
"I lost count. He's like me he don't like sitting or laying still apparently or the quiet. I got a mini me. Despite the lack of sleep, best birthday ever!" Max joked
"Well let's hope not" Jackie shook her head "it's not funny max. Jemima won't cope, it's hard work. I know what being a mother to a........"Jackie insult was cut off by Jem screaming at someone to get out. Max and I darting towards the house at speed.

"Max! Mattyyyyyy!" Jem was screeching with her back against the door putting all her weight on it trying to shut it. A black shoe stopping it from doing so
"Jem, what's the matter? Who is it?"
"Don't let him touch him, Matty, I don't want him near him." Jem wept
"Come here Em" Ed appeared opening his arms, Sandra helping him to calm her and Eric down.
"Matty, you want me to deal with it?" Jack ran down the stairs from the bathroom
"No clue who....dad?" I asked the figure standing in the doorway "what the hell are you doing here! I told you not to come here again!" I yelled, he'd turned up a few months ago after I'd refused to meet him and I'd sent him packing.
"Don't let him hurt my Matty" I heard Jem panicking to Ed "Eric, no, please, make him go away. He can't see Eric. Ed stop him, he's drunk he's going to hurt my matty!"