53. Allow yourself to enjoy him

Jemima

I'd taken myself and Eric to bed early, there seemed to be a lot of low key bickering going on, I'm not sure why they thought I couldn't hear their loud whispering and arguing. There seemed to be some kind of welcome home, belated new year, Eric turns one week old, max's twenty first, three years anniversary party being planned, not that anyone consulted me. I lay watching Eric in his basket with Levi cuddled up to me, he hadn't left my side since we'd got back other than to sit and watch Eric in his basket, he seems intrigued, he kept wagging his tail just watching him. Jackie shooed him away constantly complaining we shouldn't let him near Eric. She wouldn't even let me bring him to her house when we visited Christmas Day.

I drifted off to sleep with Levi once Eric had dozed off, max had bought him some snazzy light that played a tune, I think it sent me to sleep as well as Eric. I woke up to Levi barking, I yawned stretching it was only 8pm. I checked on Eric and screamed loudly when the basket was empty, Levi barking louder. I ran out of the room screaming for Max.
"Baby, I'm here, I'm here!" Max fell over his own feet running out of the living room "what happened? Nightmare?"
"Someone's taken Eric! He's gone! Eric's gone! Max do something! Eric's gone! Help me!"
"Shush shush, it's alright, Matty's got him, he's in the garden!"
I pushed past max running at speed to the garden towards my brother who was stood with Ralph and Ed.
"Hey kiddo, you okay? Nightmares playing up?"
I snatched Eric from him and slapped his arm so hard it made my hand sting and a clap echo around the garden

"Ow! What the fuck!" Matty rubbed his arm
"You took my baby! you bastard!"
"He was squeaking and you were sleeping! I was just helping. He wasn't hungry, he just wanted to be picked up"
"Emmy baby, I was here. He's fine."
"Shut up" I snapped at max
"Em! I was here too. He's been fine sis, I promise." Ed tried to hug me, I pushed him away.
"You shut up and all Edward! You let him take him! No one touches him!" I marched back inside
"Emmy! Baby! We were just trying to help! Emmy!"
"Leave us alone, Levi come. Touch him again and I'll train Levi to bite you you fucking pricks!"
"Shit" Max cursed "what do I do?"
"Boys, we need to talk" Sandra called to them "go back to bed sweetheart, I understand. Daddy and I are staying tonight, we'll be in Matty's room, he's going in with Tom on the blow up bed if you need him.

I sat sobbing staring at Eric who was squeaking away. I had to protect him, how could I protect him if I didn't know where the hell he was. I didn't look up when I heard a key in the lock and the door opening. Two sets of familiar foot steps stepping in closing the door behind them.
"Hey kiddo." Matty sat on the floor next to me, max leaning on his knees on the bed. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have taken him"
"No you shouldn't have" I huffed, slowing my sobs, Matty rubbing my back.
"I know Jem, I'm sorry I was just trying to help. I triggered a panic attack when you woke up and he wasn't where you left him, I understand now, I'm sorry. We will keep him safe Jem. I promise you. You have to let us help you. How about this, if anyone picks him up or takes him while you're asleep they leave a note in his basket to tell you who has him and where they are, how does that sound? Mum recommended it."
"I suppose so. I thought....I thought he'd gone. Like Arthur."
"I know I'm sorry. We'll work all this out Jem, we're all learning on the job. We love you and we love him. We're going to have teething problems for a while."

"Emmy? I'm sorry. I should have stopped him and thought how you would feel or at least stayed up here so I was here when you woke up so you didn't panic. I got distracted. I always do don't I. I'll do better baby I swear. I'm so sorry." Max pleaded his case.
"Mate chill" Matty rubbed his friends leg "don't cry mate it's not gonna help. Why don't you both just go to bed eh. He's not been sleeping well without you sis. Even when he's not been on FaceTime. Lock your door, I'll come in and check on you later before I go to bed and lock the door behind me. You'll be fine. All three of you."
"Do the boys not want us here?" I whispered out sadly
"You are kidding me Emmy. They are so all competing for best uncle position."
"Like I told peter, positions already filled" Matty chuckled kissing my head "they were apprehensive Jem, I won't lie to you but once they met him they all melted like snowmen in summer. They've been so excited that little man was coming home today. Whole families coming to meet him tomorrow. Doug and Jack too."